Chapter 21

Newt and I woke up at 08.30 am. I was still laying in the same position, head on his armpit, arm around his body.

Clint did some test for the last time and I was officially declared healthy.

I was happy I didn't have to be in bed all the time anymore, I could actually do something. Find a way out.
Ofcource, I still had to take it easy.

Newt's wound on his hand had to get stitches, because it wasn't healing in the way they'd wanted it to. When the bandage was off, I saw a wound, it still looked deep but not big. It looked painful. And he'd gotten it to protect me. Clint walked away to get the tools and I asked Newt if it was painful.
'Sometimes...' he answered.
Clint had come back with needle and dread. You could see it hurt Newt, so I took his other hand, rubbing it with my thumb.

When Clint was finished, we walked to the kitchen to get breakfast.
A couple of boys were still eating, but most of them had already gone to their jobs.

We ate sandwiches and Alby walked over to us.
'Hey, Rosalie, how are you feeling? You look much better.'

'Thanks Alby, I feel much better, too.'

'Are you ready to do a job today or do you feel like you want to wait?'

'I know I want to be a runner. Do I still have to jobs? Can't I just practice?'

'You want to be a runner?' Alby asked. 'Is she serious?' He added, looked over to Newt.

'Apparently.' Newt answered, and smiled at me.

'Yes, I want to help. I can run pretty fast, I know that.'

'Show it.' Alby laughed, disbelieve running over his face.

'Rosalie, don't! Please, you have to take it easy.' Newt said. He was too concerned, I could do this... I knew it.

'I can do it.' I said, laughing and I stood up, and began running to the East Door. I was indeed really fast, and I was there soon enough. I ran back, and saw Newt smiling.
'You are fast indeed,' Alby said. 'Newt, can I speak to you for a moment?'

Newt nodded and he and Alby walked away. They stood there, talking, looking over at me. Newt had a concerned look at his face. He was always worried about me. It was sweet, how protective he was.

I was gasping a bit, and took another bite in my sandwich. I looked over at them. I wished I could hear them but I couldn't.
After a while, they shook hands and Alby walked towards the homestead. Newt walked over to me, smiling.

'What were you guys talking about?'

'About you being a runner.'

'And...?'

'There will be a gathering this evening. Those people can vote if they think it is a good idea to send a greenie like you in the maze.'

'I hate that word, greenie. I'm not the newest greenie anymore.'

'True. I'm sorry for insulting you, love.' Newt joked while he hugged me and gave me a kiss on the head. 'But don't worry, we need more runners. No one wants to be a runner. And you run fast. You're amazing. Most of them will vote yes. I will, even though I'm afraid to lose you. Voting against it would be selfish.'

I took his hand 'You won't lose me. I hope you are right. I love you.'

'I love you too. So what do you want to do today?'

'Spend as much time with you as I ca-'