Chapter 20

I woke up and glanced next to me. Newt was still asleep. He lay on his side, facing me. He looked so cute.  I carefully took his wrist and looked on his watched. It was early, 06.00 am.

I closed my eyes and tried to fall back to sleep, but I couldn't, so I quietly left the bed and put on some clothes over my underwear.  I tiptoed my way to outside. Minho and this other kid were preparing themselves for the maze. 'Good morning! Why are you awake so early?' Minho  asked me.

'I couldn't sleep anymore. Good luck today!' I answered, and smiled.

'Thanks.' He answered and they walked to the East door.

I walked into the woods. I noticed I didn't hear a single bird whistle, and looked up to the trees. I walked that way for a while and after a while I looked around me. When I realized where I was, I shrieked. It was the place where Steven had jumped on me, and the memories came rushing back. Those horrible memories. I had been so buzzy with Newt, I'd forgotten about it.

I fell to the ground, I was shaking and crying now. It was an hysterical cry.
This open place was beautiful, but the horrible things that had happend ruined that.
I heard footsteps running towards me. 'No! Leave me alone!' I screamed, and kicked around me. Tears were streaming down my face. He'd come back to finish what he had started.

'Hey, hey shhhh. You're okay' Newt's voice. He grabbed my arms and kneeled in front of me.
Relieve ran through my body. He'd come to save me again.
I wrapped my arms around him. He did the same thing. 'Ne..e..wt...?' I said, still havily shaking and crying.
'Yeah. You're save. He's gone.'
'I... I'm... sor...ry...'
'Don't be. I understand.'

More footsteps. 'What's going on?'
'Is she okay?'

It were Chuck and Thomas.

'She's been through a lot.' Newt answered bitter.

I looked up to Newt. 'We... all... ha...have. Newt, I hate them so much. Those shuck creators.' I'd stopped shaking and crying. I felt anger.
'For all we know, Steven could have been controlled by them...' I added.
'Yeah, I know.' Newt answered. He stroked my back. We were still hugging. I felt horrible.
Chuck nodded, and Thomas stood next to him, probably wondering what the hell we were talking about.

Newt took me back to the bed because it was still really early and Thomas and Chuck went back to their hammocks. I had apologized for waking them up.

I lay close to Newt's hot body. My head was resting on his armpit, and I was stroking his torso with my hand.
'Thank you for looking after me.'
He smiled down at me, and gave me a kiss on my forehead. 'You're welcome. Try to sleep for a bit.'
'Yeah, you to. Sleep well.'
'Sleep well, love.'