Chapter 16

I woke up because of some kind of alarm. I looked around me, I was alone. I hesitated but I had to know so I looked at my right wrist.

I was shocked because I saw a small scar, going all the way from my left side of my polse to the right side.

It was the truth. It was indeed a memory. Newt and I were lovers before the Glade, and they somehow made him commit suicide. But he obviously hadn't succeeded. How was that even possible?

And I myself had tried to commit suicide too. I had to tell Newt about all this.

The alarm was still ringing. What was going on? I stood up carefully, felt a bit dizzy, but slowly walked towards the door. I slowly walked through the hallways and went outside. All the boys were standing around the box. I noticed Newt. I walked over to him. I felt much better than I did this morning.

'Rosalie, what are you doing out of bed?' He asked concerned.

'What's going on? There can't be another greenie... I've been here only a week?'

'I don't know...' He grabbed my waist so he could help me stand.

The doors opened, and Gally jumped in.

'Day one greenie, rise and shine.' I heard Gally say. 'Can someone get us a rope?'

The greenie came up and I recognized him from my dream. It was Thomas, I thought in shock. He looked exactly as I remembered. I stumbled back. The memory had happened recently. Short before I went to this place anyway. 'Newt, we have to talk.' I said.

Newt helped me walk back to bed and I began telling him about the first dream. About the day before he went to the Glade, the creators pulling him out of my arms, Chancellor Paige, that we were lovers before we came here. When I was done, I looked over at him and saw he had tears in his eyes.

I wasn't sure how to tell him about my next dream, because he never told me how he got his limp. Maybe this was how he got it. I didn't want to keep anything for him, so I began telling him about the second dream. When I was done, I added that it had happened soon before I went to the maze.

'That can't be right... I jumped of that wall a long time ago.' Newt answered, shocked. 'Please don't tell anyone.' He added.

'How are you even alive right now? I won't tell.' I took his hand and stroked it with my thumb. 'You can trust me.'

'Alby found me, dragged me to the homestead. He's the only one who knows.' He took my wrist, and stroked with his hand over my scar. 'It was old footage, they used it to get under your skin...'

'Well, it worked.' I answered. 'Do you think they got inside your head? Was it my fault!"

'No! It wasn't your fault, Rose. It was mine. I don't think they got into my brain - I... I jumped of that wall because I hated this place. I hated every single day.'

'Hated? As in past tense?'

'When you're with me, I feel amazing. When I thought I lost you, I lost that part of me. It was horrible. Why do you think you remember?'

'I have no idea... But I do know that they're watching us. Newt, the maze... It's a test.'