Chapter 23

'What's going on?' I asked Newt. We were sitting against a tree in the forest.

'I have no idea. But whatever it is, people are scared. I'm scared.' Newt said.

'I'm scared, too. How long do you think we'll last without any supplies?' I took his hand.

'I don't know. But it'll be okay. We will find a way.'

'Good that.' I answered. Glader talk. Funny, I didn't even realize I spoke it, too.

'I won't let anything happen to you.'

I glanced at him and kissed him on his lips. A small, tender kiss. I looked in his eyes, and he kissed me again. He took my face into my hands and gave me a long kiss full of passion.

When he stopped, he asked 'Do you remember her? The girl? Was she the same girl you've dreamed about?'

I nodded, and looked him in the eyes. "It's Theresa."
His eyes were full of life, until they turned into blackness.

'Are you okay?' I asked.

'I'm...' He began, 'I'm... no! The crea-...' he whispered. His voice changed, 'You weren't suppose to remember.'

'What? What are you talking about?' I asked.

'You weren't suppose to remember!' He repeated,with a threatening voice and he tightened his grip around my face.

'Ouch! Newt? What the hell are you doing? Are you okay?'

'I... I... I have to do this. I have to kill you. You weren't  suppose to remember.' His voice was void.

I was shocked. 'What...?' The creators. They must have gotten inside his head. This wasn't Newt. Newt wouldn't do this.

'Newt! Snap out of it! You can do this! Don't do this!'

I tried to get out of his grip.Then I kicked him. He stumbled back, and sprang towards me. 'I have to kill you... I have to kill you...' He hit me on my scar. A sting of pain scooted through my head. I fell on the ground, and he jumped on me. I didn't want to hurt him. I couldn't. I just laid there and I didn't do anything, shocked of the current events. His hands moved towards my neck, and he tried to strangle me. 'No, please! Newt! HELP! SOMEBODY HELP ME!' I couldn't breathe anymore. I looked at him, at Newt. The sight of him this way hurt me. Tears were running down my face. I tried to speak, but I couldn't. Then I heard footsteps. Thank god. I saw movement in the corner of my eye and I saw Thomas. He hit Newt and Newt fell of me.

Thomas wanted to hit him again, but I stopped him, sprung between Newt and him, screaming 'No, Thomas, don't! He doesn't know what he's doing!'

Thomas turned around, and looked at me. 'Are you okay?'

'No...' I answered. Newt had tried to kill me. I felt like I couldn't ever be happy again. More tears. 'Please... help me up, we'll carry him to the homestead together.' I rubbed away my tears.