Chapter 44

Shailene's Point of View

When I wake up in the morning, I'm not surprised I'm alone.I expected this. I nearly had to get out before they'd catch him. I glance over at the clock on the wall. 8:20. I'm hoping I can go home today. Or not really home because I don't have a home in New York City.

At 10 o'clock my mother arrives and not too long after my doctor comes in to check on me. "Good morning Miss Woodley. How are you feeling today?"

"Uh okay, yeah. I mean considering I was in a car accident and all!" I laugh weakly.

"Hmm, yes."

"When can I go home?" I ask. I have to get out of here. Hospitals creep me out.

"Shailene, look," he takes a seat on the edge of my bed. "I'm going to need to tell you something and I don't want you to panic. Remember we live in a time where there's a cure for pretty much anything, and it's not as bad as it may se-"

"Stop." I cut him off. He looks at me with pity. "Just tell me, I just want to know."

"When you arrived here, we started checking you for everything. We had to. We didn't know what was wrong, why you wouldn't wake up. It's still a mystery as to how you're alive having this conversation with me right now."

I take a deep breath. This isn't going where I thought it would go.

He's going to tell me I have it, right? Cancer?

"Shailene while you were unconscious your friend visited, a tall, young brunette. Couldn't be older than 20."

What friend? Oh....

"She revealed to me - in confidentiality - you suspected you were pregnant.."

Violetta.

I clear my throat. "Yeah I was..but the tests were all coming back negative."

"Look I don't know how to say this any other way. It is what it is.

"Shailene you had ovarian cancer. And a cyst on your ovary."

"You removed my- wait. Had? Why had?"

"We had to remove your ovaries, and therefore that got rid of your cancer. I'm so sorry."

"Why should you be sorry? You only di-"

Then it hits me.

"No,"

I don't like to cry. However I can't help the line tear that rolls down my cheek.

"Wait, this means that I..I mean I...I'm not gonna be able to..."

He doesn't look me in the eyes. "I'm so sorry, but you're not going to be able to have children."
---
---
---
(A/N: thoughts?Opinions?Once again if you want an update you better start commenting again, And don't forget to vote! 😘)