Chapter 38

I'm a married lady now! Yup! 😂 sorry this took so long to update! I'm still on vacation but I thought I'd update nonetheless! Enjoy!

Theo's Point of View

At this point the paparazzi have set up a permanent station outside the hospital. The news about Shailene have gotten out and pretty much everyone in the world knows. The news about the baby also got out, with some magazines claiming that I'm engaged and I was spotted shopping for rings with Ruth.

Bullshit. I'm a traditional guy. If I were going to propose I wouldn't take her with me - that would spoil the surprise.

These online websites need to get their shit together.

As soon as Lori steps out of the car she slides her sunglasses on and we walk in tandem to the entrance. The paparazzi see us and immediately get to their feet following us. They see us wearing formal clothes and start with the shouting.

"How is Miss Woodley?"

"Is it true you're engaged?"

"Have you thought of baby names? Are you really going to name it after Shailene?"

"Theo! Theo! Theo!"

One shoves his ugly ass camera in my face and I almost punch him but I don't.

I follow Lori inside quickly. When we get to reception almost everyone stares at me, whispering and snapping photos with their iPhones. I don't have the energy to ask them not to.

No doubt they'll be on instagram within minutes.

We take the elevator up to the sixth floor and we walk side by side to Shai's room. She's been moved since I last saw her so I don't know which rooms shes in now.

"Okay you ready?"

Hesitantly I nod. Now or never right?

Lori rounds the corner and enters a room and I follow her close behind.

The first thing I hear is the beeping of the monitors, the machines she's hooked up to. It's an unpleasant sight.

Then she comes into view and I literally feel my heart stop for a few seconds. I grab a hold of her hand but then I feel stupid and drop it immediately, and proceed to stand awkwardly at the foot of the bed.

Lori busies herself fixing Shai's pillow and arranging things on her nightstand.

"Theo please sit, you're making me uneasy. You look like you're about to bolt out the door at any minute."

I grab a chair and put it against the wall, keeping a safe distance from Shai.

Lori sits on another chair right next to the bed. She smiles sadly and starts stroking Shai's forehead lovingly.

"So um....is.." I want to ask how long she's got left. I need to prepare myself, but I don't know how to get the words out the right way. The last thing I want to do is offend the mother of the woman I love - the woman we both love.

Lori looks at me "Is what?"

"Um...I just wanted to ask if you knew how long she had le-"

"Left?" Lori interrupted. I nodded.

She took a deep breath. "Not long probably....don't look at me that way!" She scolded me.

I was nearing tears so I wiped my not yet wet eyes.

Lori was only being honest. I admired that. I didn't want people lying to me, tell me the truth or say nothing at all.

Just then my phone buzzed. "Sorry, I need to take this." I excused myself and stood outside the room.

I unlocked my phone to see a message from Ruth.

Call me NOW

I look up her name in my contacts and press call. She picks up immediately.

"Okay I called what's so urgent?"

Surprisingly her voice is calm and collected. I was expecting her to shout. "Are you coming home soon?"

What, no yelling? Something is definitely wrong. "Why? Is something up?"

"Oh nothing much Theo," Ruth says into the phone breathlessly. "Just my fiancé left me at a strangers funeral all alone. Oh and I have your other phone by the way. Some anonymous chick wants to talk to you."

"I didn't leave yo-" Wait. Say that again? "What do you mean you have my phone?"

And then I say: " And Ruth we're not engaged! I think I have to ask you first don't you think?!"

Instead of her reply I hear a male voice whisper "you ready?"

"Ruth who the fuck was that?!" I scream. A few nurses turn their attention to me so I lower my tone. "Who the fuck is in our house?"

I can't hear whatever she says next because Lori's blood curdling scream catches my attention.

"Someone help! Doctor! My daughters dying!"

I try to run back into the room but I'm pushed aside by nurses and doctors and medical staff.

"She's flatlining! Get me 20 CC's of Epi!"

They keep talking but I don't understand. I'm not a doctor - far from it.

I honestly feel like this is it. This is the moment it's all over, the moment I loose my person.

But then they stabilise her. For the time being, they say.

Xxxx
Sorry! I promise things are finally gonna start happening and it's gonna get a bit more interesting. I need a few filler chappys. As always if you don't comment, I don't update.

Peace out! XX