Chapter 40

Shailene's Point of View

I can hear her before I even open my eyes.

They feel sticky and heavy. Like I've been asleep for a while, they haven't had to open.

"Shai? Honey please say something." She begs. I know that voice. That's the voice I'll never ever forget. It's impossible to. She's my mother.

"Shailene can you open your eyes again?" Someone asks. I don't recognise the voice.

"Uh..im" I struggle for words.

"I thought she was awake? I've already made calls...I..." It's my mother again.

"Mrs Woodley calm down I'm sure she's just adjusting." It's probably a doctor.

And then it pops into my mind. Divergent.

What did I do? I have a contract and I'm just laying here doing nothing...

All of a sudden I get an immense amount of strength and I shoot up into a sitting position, my eyes snapping open.

And then I feel it - the cables attached to my skin pulling me back down.

"Ouch," I cry out silently.

"Shailene you're awake!" My mother coos and in an instant she is sitting on a chair next to my bed holding my hand, the other stroking my forehead.

The doctor quickly checks me over and once she's satisfied with me; she leaves me and my mother alone.

I have so many questions. I don't understand why I'm here? What happened?

"Mom why am I here?"

"You don't remember?" She quizzes.

I shake my head. She then proceeds to delve into the story of the accident. I interrupt halfway "what? Is Ruth okay?" She's not the one I really want to know about but I dorm want to sound desperate.

"Yeah she's fine..the couple in the other car had two kids. The baby died and so did they, Ruth and Theo were at their funeral actually, and the toddler girl survived and went to live with some family, and your driver also you know...it was his fault. He was drunk and high on something."

Ruth and Theo went to their funeral actually......

I take a deep breath. "So um..he's okay too? You know...Th...Theo?"

My mother smiles a little. "Why are you being so shy all of a sudden? Yes he's fine. He's on his way here now."

"Wait what?!" I shout. "No..no tell him not to come. I don't wanna..."

"Shai he's alre-"

"No!" I interrupt again "I don't wanna see him. I can't see him. I don't know how to talk to him.. Or what to say even."

"He's not with Ruth anymore."

What? Why do all these things happen when it's too late for everything? "I don't care that doesn't change anything."

"Well he's on his way and should be here any minute. Shailene just let him see you, he's been going crazy. And he has to leave in a few days anyway."
--
--
--
Leave a comment. See you soon!