Chapter 41

Theo's Point of View

After getting the news from Lori, I don't waste any time. I dress quickly, unfortunately I have to dress in a suit. I'm attending an event tonight - I was forced by my agent - and I'm not gonna have time to come back home to change. At least I hope I don't have time.

There is so much I want to tell her, that k want her to know. I thought I'd lost her forever, and with that I also lost a part of myself.

I want to tell her off for that stupid note she left me. You don't ever use a note as a goodbye. I'm not an expert and I've clearly hurt her,  a lot, but I think that even I deserve a little bit more than that. Something to my face probably?

I run out of the apartment and sprint down to the basement, where the car park is.

I hop in and within minutes I'm speeding down the road. 

I probably sound like I'm exaggerating to some people, but I'm not at all. Despite feelings of romance and fascination, I love her as a best friend. That's not to say that I wouldn't want more. 

The truth is I'm confused. And I don't know what to do. 

Me and Ruth had such a great relationship before I met Shailene. We were just happy with each other and we didn't care about anyone else. We only had eyes for each other. Obviously now that's changed. I still love her, and I think a part of me always will. If you truly loved someone, and were with them for a certain period of time, it's hard to all of a sudden forget everything you went through.

But I don't want to forget. I spent the majority of my twenties with her and I was happy. She made me happy. But she's in the past now.

When I pull into the parking lot outside the hospital, I'm surprised that no paparazzi are present. I get out and make my way to the florist right next to the main entrance of the hospital. 

An old woman sits at a desk cutting roses in the very back of the dark rectangular room. There's only one small window at the very front of the room, right next to the door. 

She doesn't seem to take notice of my arrival so I clear my throat. She doesn't look up when she says: "What can I get you?"

I stiffen. I didn't think this far ahead. "Umm..well I'm not sure exactly. I need a woman's opinion."

She lifts her head and looks me up and down. Not in the usual, sexual way women stare at me. She's simply trying to see what kind of person I am. She grins. She must be in her sixties or seventies. "You're sure dressed up. What's the occasion? Your wife had a baby or somethin'?"

Not wife, I think. And not yet.

"Uh no. My gir.. uh best friend had an accident and she woke up from a coma...are roses too romantic?" 

She laughs, a deep raspy laugh. "Just best friend?"

I nod. 

"Well then not the roses. And lilies are too funeralish..how about a bunch of freesias?" she points to a bucket of purple and yellow little flowers. 

"If you think so." I hesitate.

She notices. "Dont' worry..it's not friend zoning her either."

I scratch my head nervously and I feel my whole face heat up. I'm red now.

--

--

--