Chapter 31

Theo point of view

(I suggest listening to Blown Away by Carrie Underwood while reading this)

"What the hell are you talking about?" Ruth spits at the police officer in her thick Irish accent. "I'm not stupid! She was there! She can't just be gone!"

We're currently sitting in a hospital room. The doctors keep picking at me, hooking me up to various IV's and stitching different parts of me.

All I keep hearing is the sirens from when the ambulances showed up eventually and that guys voice whispering 'theres only three survivors. the couple and the kid'

I'm fully aware of whats going on, but everyone else seems to think I've gone into shock. I don't blame them, I haven't said a word since my little incident.

Once I opened my eyes back in the car, I went into panic mode and started yelling at that couple that found us about Shailene. He kept saying that there was no woman in the front seat. No traces of blood or clothes or anything for that matter.

It was mine and Ruth's word against the rest of them. And now here we are: Ruth yelling at the cops, me sitting in the hospital bed listening but not reacting.

"Ma'am take it easy. You've been through a lot tonight, best not push it what with your condition and all" the cop says to Ruth.

From the corner of my eye I see her frown and shift her weight to one side. "Come 'ere you. Listen, buddy. I may not be her biggest fan, but she's still a human being! She was in the front seat. I am not stupid or delusional, and neither is he!" She points a finger in my direction.

The cop takes a deep breath. "Ma'am, I'm not saying you're crazy. You're just overwhelmed with what happened tonight. Your boyfriends costar wasn't in the same car. She's probably currently sleeping on her hotel room. I'm sure as soon as she finds out, she'll come down to see you both. I just need you to fill out a statement, so if you could just come down to the station..."

"Hey!" Ruth screams causing us a to jump. "You listen here. I'm not filling out ANY of your pointless idiotic statements until you find Shailene!"

I can't take any more of this.

Listening to them is just making everything worse. Reality is that Shailene is gone, God knows where and no one wants to believe us that she was there.

The driver could confirm the news, if he was alive.

The poor bastard died on the scene.

Slowly, I feel my heart rate speed up and the monitor I'm hooked up to starts beeping uncontrollably fast.

Mid sentence Ruth turns her attention to me but it's too late. I feel my eyelids get heavier and then they close completely.

If she's not with me, I don't want to be here either.