Way Back When...

Levi sat on the bed in silence. I stood looking at him before he broke the silence.

'Your mother couldn't stay inside the wall.'
He said while sighing and looking at me.

'What? Why?'
I looked at him and he kept his eyes on the floor away from me.

'Remember the time I told you that I used to live underground before coming here?'
With that he looked at me and it took me awhile to remember.

'Yeah, yeah I remember.'

'When I joined the Survey corps others joined too, your mother was one of them. Me and your mother worked under Erwin.'

I stood still looking at levi who had a painful look on his face but still had his eyes on the floor.

'Few months later, Erwin fell in love with your mother but-...'

He stopped mid sentence and hesitated.

'Well? Keep going. But what?'
I looked at him before he continued.

'But your mother chose me. Few more months later she became pregnant, with you.'
He paused for a second.

'Erwin fell in love with mother, huh.'

And he continued.
'Erwin couldn't stand the thought of your mother and me and so Erwin decided to lock her up, Keep her away from me. Your mother couldn't handle it since she was carrying you so the first chance she got she escaped.'

I think he saw the confusion on my face because he stopped and I tried to shove everything he just said into my brain. A few seconds later I gestured for him to continue.

'Erwin sent lots of people out to look for her. She realised it wasn't safe to stay so she made it out of the walls, far away from here. She got a house and that's when you were born Mei.

He looked at me with a painful smile and looked away again.

'Your mother used to send me letters and pictures and that's what you saw. Because of all of this we decided to keep the truth from you to protect you. Now that you know I don't know what Erwin's going to do.'

I looked at him.

'What? What's Erwin going to do?'
...