Chapter 23: Some Way, Some How

Chapter 23

-------------------------------------
August

After the paramedic folks took O'Shae away I headed back upstairs to ole boys condo. The police was in there lookin' around so a nigga couldn't get in, but I noticed Raheem wasn't nowhere to be found.

"Fuck!" I yelled.

I looked over and noticed some white lady lookin' over at me. She motioned for me to come over to her door so I did. "Hi, Uhm you said you were that girl's boyfriend?"

"Yea. Did you see anythang?"

"No, no I didn't, but I heard a bunch of screaming and yelling so I had called the cops. " she tol' me. "I was scared to go over and check what was going on, but when I decided to go check his apartment door was open so I walked over and found your girlfriend like that. I'm so sorry, I should've checked sooner and maybe she'd be okay, I'm really sorry." She apologized over and over.

It touched a niggas heart to hear this lady apologizing and shit for somethin' that ain't even her fault. She did the right thang by callin' the cops and goin' to check regardless, no matter when she went and did the shit. It mean a lot to me and I'm thankful towards her.

"You good. This wasn't yo fault or nunin', but did you see some dude in there at all?"

She shook her head. "No, that's the thing, when I got over there the door was already open and it was just her in there."

"Damn it." I mumbled pissed the fuck off that this nigga done got away. "Okay, well thank you lady, for real, I appreciate what you did for my girl."

She gave me a lil smile and I turned around headin' out the buildin'. That nigga done got away and the cops all over here so there ain't shit I can do, but head out to this hospital. Rah finna be the least of my problems 'cause I gotta make sure O'Shae gone make it outta this shit alive.

-------

Kenneth, Ms.A, Dink, mama and I was all in the waiting room just silent. We the only folks in here, but I still just been feelin' like it's just me. It's like I been floatin' around in my own mind just trynna understand some shit. I'm trynna understand why the hell shit always gotta happen to her, and why would some shit like this happen of all things.

Things had really set in after I got here and they was tellin' me they couldnt say anything about her condition just yet. It's been a fuckin' waiting game and I've been on edge waiting to hear something back. This whole time I've been having to thank about life wit' out Shae in it permanently. That shit scare a nigga more than I'd like to admit and I caint take that thought.

O'Shae is the one person in the whole fuckin' world that I feel this much love towards. Like I love that girl wit' errythang in me and honestly I'd give up my life for hers in an instant. She always been that girl that was riding for me, had my best interest at heart, knows how to just make a nigga a better person all around. Like no one had ever been down for me like her besides Mel, and it's like she took his place and picked up where he left off in guiding me through life and I just caint lose another person like that.

"August." Kenneth called me. I looked over at him and he stood up motioning for me to follow him. "Come on."

I got up from my chair and followed him over to the entrance and walked outside to stand out there with him. Kenneth been pissed since the hospital called him and Ms.A to come down and when he got down here he cussed every police officer and doctor that tried to talk to him, out. And told them to not say shit to him until his daughter was breathing again. Since then he hasn't  said anythang else to nobody.