209 - Losing and taking the blame

Harry: "It's all my fault," he growls, burying his head in his hands and running his fingers through his curls. "No it's not," you assure him, gently rubbing his back. "You guys were nominated against a lot of tough competition." He shakes his head and frowns. Part of him knows the boys don't blame him (did they ever?) but he can't help but blame himself. If he hadn't messed up that one note in Little Things maybe they would've won the award. "You'll get the next one," you say softly, slowly running your fingers through his hair. "I guess," he mumbles, slightly less upset. "You're right."

Niall: "Fuck!" he shouts, kicking the sofa backstage. "I can't believe we lost! I should have tweeted about voting more, I should have done something more," he continues, his voice softening. "Sweetheart," you say calmly, leaning on his chest as he wraps his arms around you. "It's one award of the hundreds you guys have won, it's not your fault." He nods slowly and takes a deep breath. "Right," he says softly, adjusting his tie. "I'm not going to be a sore loser about this...The Wanted deserved it as much as we did, maybe..." You bite back a smirk and kiss his cheek. "Right, so let's go back out there, yeah?"

Louis: "We would've won this stupid award if someone better was in the band instead of me," he says suddenly, breaking the extremely quiet silence of disappointment that'd filled the car the whole drive home. "Louis," you begin with disbelief. "No, don't 'Louis' me! My voice is weak, I'm not the best looking lad out there...I'm letting the boys down," he says softly, his eyes shining with tears. "Louis!" you grab the steering wheel and pull the car over, parking it in an empty lot. "That's all bull shit! You're gorgeous, talented...you never let any of those boys down. They love you, Lou. It's not your fault you lost and it's just an award! This award doesn't measure all of the amazing things you lads have done," you exclaim, placing your hand on his cheek. "You're amazing."

Zayn: "Damn it," he growls, punching a pillow on the couch. "I thought we were going to win...I should've tried harder." You quietly watch him let off steam and rant, waiting for the part where his hard outer shell cracks as always. "I just...I think it's my fault and I let them down," he says finally, his voice quiet and small. "You didn't let them down and it's not your fault...I know I can't convince you but you're going to realize that it isn't. You did the best you could--all of you did--it's just one award, babe, only one," you say quietly, kissing his cheek and wrapping him tight in a hug.

Liam: "This sucks," he begins, resting his elbows on his knees and running his fingers through his hair. "We were so close, we would've won that award if I had done better on our last performance or maybe if I hadn't shaved my head or something..." You raise an eyebrow at his nonsense theories and place your hand on his arm. "Liam that's all bullshit and you know it," you say firmly, biting your lip. "It was tough competition and you and the boys did the best you could, there's no one to blame except for the people who gave the award. They must be deaf," you joke, smiling as he lets out a quiet chuckle.