I gave him a small nod as I kept staring into the distance, willing my overactive tear ducts to calm down.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry. Do you want to just be alone?"

So he knew, I wonder who Anthony hadn't decided to tell. I was surprised that this guy at least had the decency to ask if I wanted him around, so that actually made me want to stay oddly enough.

"You're fine." I tell him.

"So that moron is in charge of taking care of you? That'll be fun." He said, seeming to try to lighten the moment.

I shrugged, "Only for a while and then I'll be sent off to live with some other family until I turn eighteen."

"How come?"

"We don't have a way to afford to keep the house we live in currently, so when we finally get kicked out that's what is going to happen." My voice began to take on a shaky tone. "I don't want to lose my brother too. I already don't feel safe here as it is."

It was some time before he got to his feet saying, "I will be right back."

He went back in the house and I felt myself sadden a bit more, of course he didn't want to deal with a stranger's problems. I drifted back into my dark thoughts after that and watched the clouds roll over the skyline as I pondered over so many things. The front door squeaked yet again and it was Anthony's voice I heard this time.

"I don't know what you did, but I think you just saved our asses."

I turned to look at him with a raised eyebrow, "What?"

"We have somewhere to live."

"How does that have anything to do with me?"

"Corey told me that he had a chat with you and offered to let us move in with him as soon as we want since his other roommates are moving out. So we need to go get packing!" He announces, grabbing my hand to pull me to my feet.

As he basically drug me down the driveway in his excitement I caught sight of Corey as he nodded in my direction with a tiny smile.

"Thank you." I mouthed and then began to hurry along with Anthony to the bus stop. I was so confused though, why did he want to help us?

***

"What the fuck is wrong with Iowa's justice system? They can't give her sixteen months in jail! That's bullshit!" I shouted as soon as I stormed out of the court house, Corey tailing behind me.

"Ashley, dear?" A soft feminine voice called from my left and I moved my focus to see that it was Miranda's mother.

She hesitated before walking up to me and she sent Corey a wary glance I understood why. Miry's parents used to love me to death when she and I had first started hanging out, but then they met Corey all of his ear pierced and tattooed glory. They said that it was sinful to mark your body that way and all I wanted to do was laugh in their faces, if only they really knew what he was like.

I couldn't help being sort of embarrassed from my outburst being heard by unwanted ears. "Oh, hi Ellen."

"Do you have a minute? There's something I'd like to discuss with you." As soon as I nodded she launched into her issue. "Well, you know that my husband and I are avid followers of the word of God and seeing as Miranda has conceived a child out of wedlock we... We just can't agree to take care that baby."

"But Patrick's can't either, there's no way they would want to after what happened and not to mention they can't afford it." I decided not to add on the fact that while I got a look at them in the courtroom most of them appeared to be strung out on one thing or another.

"Morally, we can't."

"She's your daughter! Doesn't that mess with your morals as a parent?"

She sighed, "Hun, I know you don't understand our reasoning, but that's our final decision."

"Then who's supposed to take care of the baby?!" I cried, throwing my hands in the air.

"I think you'd do just a fine job."

I felt my blood boil at that and Corey appeared to notice my change in emotion as he moved to grab my shoulders to keep me in the same spot. That didn't stop me from yelling in her face, "What the hell is wrong with you people? My parents would have done anything for me if I were in Miranda's shoes! How can you behave like your grandchild is some sort of sickness?"

After that her face became hard, "Your parents clearly didn't do such a good job if they left you to be in the care of a sinner and then you carelessly allowed my little girl to go down such a dark path. I think this could be considered an atonement for what's been done."

"How fucking dare you!" I screamed and at this point Corey had nearly picked me up off the ground so I couldn't get away from him. "What kind of monster are you?"

She hurried off after that, not saying a word and I only struggled in Corey's hold for a few more minutes before going limp. He put me back on my feet before turning me to face him. "Hey, don't listen to that old cunt. She doesn't know anything about you, Miry, or your parents. You know she's wrong."

I blinked back my tears as best as I could before I spoke, "I know, I just can't stand people like her. What she said about you was a lie, you know that right? You're a good person and if Anthony and I hadn't been given your kindness I don't know where we'd be."

I also thought about the fact that he was the only thing that had made me feel even remotely better in the beginning of that, but I decided it was better to keep that to myself. He gazed at me for a second after what I said and then pulled me into a tight hug. I could have sworn while he had his arms around me he whispered something, but it was so faint that there was no way to make out what he was saying.

So I asked, "What was that?"

"I just felt like you needed a hug."

"No, not that. What were you just whispering?"

"Oh, I was just saying thank you I guess."

I nodded, even though I had a feeling that wasn't what had really come out of his mouth. I chose not to pressure the issue and to just enjoy his comfort. I found myself wondering just what my life might be like right now if I hadn't met Corey. I knew that was one of the last things I ever wanted, for him to not be around. I knew though despite my wishing, it was going to happen a lot sooner than I wanted. He would get a proper house with Sarah, have kids, and continue with his life. I would mostly likely end up as a faint memory from his past.