SAMPLE [ 06 ] friends

Start from the beginning

"That's better." My stomach clenches at the lustful glare that captures his eyes. I feel uncomfortable but I want to loosen up, I want confidence. I want to show him that I could be like Maddie and Lily.

But I don't know how. Should I be more flirtatious? Or maybe I should get more wild like last time. But I didn't want to drink. I couldn't handle it.

"Come on." His strong voice gets my attention quickly and I realize that he is moving and pulling me along with him.

"Wait, promise we won't go far!" I say, in the midst of motion, my feet slamming into the sand while my eyes decode every muscle in Tristen's back.

His soft chuckles echoes through the crisp air. "But that won't be any fun," He runs into the fresh salty waters and I pause, my fingers slipping from his own.

"I don't want to drown," I had a bad experience with the ocean. It just seriously freaked me out.

He's standing with his ankles deep into the water while he's posed up strong, with his arms extended. "C'mon, I got you. I won't let you drown, Sky,"

His eyes are deep into mine and I feel like I can trust him. I feel like I can be secure in his arms and let my guard down just a little. So I step into his calling presence, and relax once my feet touch the cool water. It brushes my skin lightly and I gain composure once he grabs me in his hold.

The smile on his face is reassuring and relaxing.

My hand slips into his once more and his fingers hold on to my waist and brings me close.

"Why don't you like swimming?" I hold on tighter to him, my legs wrapping against his waist as he takes us further.

The water welcomes my body and even as I feel stiff in my mind, I am actually relaxed against him. His skin feel rough, but smooth. My hand molds his chest and I can sense his hands moving against my waist, smoothing my skin.

"Skylar," My eyes twitch to his and the glint in his eyes makes my chest tighten.

His normal dark eyes are lighter, the corners of his mouth are stretched and his jaw is calm.

He's like a freaking Greek God and I'm over here, being afraid of water and such.

This is so embarrassing. Ugh. Why do I feel like this?

"Skylar!" Tristen shakes me a little in the water and I regain focus. I look around and realize that were further in the ocean.

"I...sorry," I shake my head, trying to completely clear my mind. "I was thinking."

"About?" His deep brown eyes scan my face and I stiffen as I feel his hands raising higher on my backside.

"Um..us, you know, I...want to know what you want...from this." I feel strange speaking this out into the open. What if he didn't want me at all?

And then the thoughts flood my mind again. Why would he want me? He has a girlfriend. What was I even doing? Why was I so drawn to him? I need to stop this and let him just be.

But I can't seem to do that.

"We're having fun, right?" His hands pull me closer to him and my breast are pushed again his chest.

I shriek out and my hands come between us, trying to stop whatever might happen.

I need to know my place. I can't have a man that's taken. That's just plain wrong. But even as I can't have him, I like his presence. I like the way he makes me feel.

So I am given the second choice. The choice of just being friends.

"Yeah, I guess we are. But I think we should stay as friends." My eyes are glued to his and I sway over as he leans down.