Chapter 49 : It's Time

Ed's POV :

Nine months later

Ever since our trip to the hospital and the news about Leylah's cancer, our trips were more than frequent. No chemo had really started to take a toll on her, especially in the third trimester of her pregnancy.

Every day was a worry for me, but she insisted that I focus on my career as much as possible. After we left the hospital, she sat me down, even before we found a proper oncologist, and told me that she wanted me to make as much music as possible and perform as many shows that I could fit in. She made it clear that she wanted that no matter what her condition was. I agreed, and so it was just a known fact that we didn't acknowledge the real issues unless we absolutely had to.

I had played a sum of about 3 shows with big venues, and about 15 smaller ones in the time since that had all begun. I was always reassured when I caught a glimpse of my beautiful wife backstage.

My staff and I worked out a system where she could sit on the side and watch without being disrupted or getting in the way of the crew.

On one particularly special night, I had given Leylah my routine kiss, and her tremendously larger belly received one too.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, the same as every day.

"A bit tired, but what's new?" she asked laughing.

"Just sit, and it'll be over before you know it. We can go home and cuddle," I said tiredly.

God knows I needed it. Between the shows, recording, trips to the hospital, and all around, just stress, I felt like I could sleep on concrete. I could only imagine what she was feeling. I was so surprised at how well her body responded to the treatments not involving chemo. She somehow made it through every day with enough energy to mostly live a normal life, and for that I was so grateful.

With every glance to my side at shows, I would reflect on how far along she was, and how much had changed since the first show I brought her to almost a year and a half earlier.

"I love you," I said and held her face in my hands, kissing her nose.

She giggled, "I love you too, Ed. Hit the guitar extra hard," she laughed and winked. "Just for me."

I saw the dark circled under her eyes and felt a queezy feeling in my stomach. I smiled and kissed her lips, cherishing the moment.

"I most definitely will."

"Go get 'em Sheeran," she said when I turned around, patting my butt.

I turned around and she was laughing quietly to herself, and shooing me.

Everything with the show went as planned, and I was almost halfway through.

I caught something out of the corner of my eye. Leylah was getting up. I looked at her, but she waved me to focus somewhere else. I saw her mumble bathroom and I nodded and continued.

By then of the show I was thoroughly exhausted, as usual. I was sweaty and ready to pack up and go home.

I was off stage and realized that there was no sign of Leylah. I suddenly felt a pushing at my back.

I grumbled and turned to see Stuart behind me.

"The hell, man?" I said.

"No time to was up, mate. You've got a kid on the way and a wife in the hospital."

I didn't need a push anymore, I was running to my car with all the speed I could muster. Running had never been something I could do well, but this time I had something to run for.

I pushed past multiple people and skidded on the pavement before jumping into my car. I had trouble with the keys due to my shaking hands, and I was off. A smile pushing at my cheeks, I tried to focus on getting to the hospital. I was quite excited for this trip.

________________________________

When I made it to her room, she was already underway with labor. The doctor informed me that she was dilated quite a bit, and she was trying to ignore the contractions that she was having.

I walked to the side of her bed where she was squeezing her eyes shut. I grabbed her hand, and I must have startled her. "Hello, love," I said quietly and sat down nest to her.

"We have a baby on the way, Ed," she said quietly.

"So I've heard. How are you feeling now?"

"Nervous."

"What about pain?"

She laughed, "I'm pushing a person out of me. It's not gonna be a cup of tea."

"You got me," I laughed. "Is this where I tell you to push?"

"Usually, but I kind of have no choice."

"I love you so much for this," I mumbled into her hair.

"You're just with me for the babies, huh."

"Absolutely," I smiled, and then the labor really started.

________________________________

After about an hour more of pushing, crying, and just a lot happening, the nurse finally announced music to my ears.

"What a beautiful baby boy!"

After they cleaned him off, she was able to hold him.

"Well hi," she said, holding him close to her face. "It's wonderful to finally meet you." I smiled. "This your dad," she smiled, "wow you couldn't look anymore like him. I'm kind of offended." She held him out to me, "Come on, I know you're dying to do this."

I stood up and carefully picked his tiny body up. "Oh my God," I mumbled. "He's perfect."

"I mean look at his dad."

"This is incredible," I said in disbelief.

I sat down next to her on the bed. She laid her head on my shoulder. "Do you gave him for now? I love him, but I'm exhausted."

"Ben?" I asked.

She sighed, "Ben."

______________________________

That was quite a time hop, I know. I like this whole updating pretty soon thing. I missed it. Comment and vote!! I will have the next chapter out soon. Yay for baby Ben :) Stay beautiful x :) ❤