Chapter 48:Again?

Ed's POV :

I ran to open the front door of our new home and ran back to Leylah as she sat on the floor of the bathroom.

I kneeled down and grabbed under her shoulders, but she immediately tried to protest.

"Ed, I'm fine. Just go start the car," she said as she tried to pick herself up.

I lifted her bridal style and quickly walked out of the house, "Not a chance." She started to breathe unevenly and let her body become limper. "Leylah?"

"I'm so sorry," she whimpered.

"Stop," I pleaded, opening the door to the car. I set her down and ran to the driver's side. The car rumbled underneath us and I watched as our house started to become distant. I wondered if God would ever let us settle down in the future. I let my left hand find her leg and hold on as I navigated to the nearest emergency room.

I took a moment to look at her next to me, knees to her chest and head leaned up against the seat. I could tell by her facial expressions that she was going through pain. My thumb rubbed against her cold skin, trying to warm her in some way.

God help her.
Please just give her a break.

"Your thinking is so loud," she spoke up.

"What?" I turned my head a little, scared of crashing. I was speeding.

"I know that you're really nervous, but everything will be fine," she said smoothly with closed eyes.

"Leylah, you say that, but I'm worried."

"Everything will be fine," she said and leaned her head against the window, slipping her hand to meet mine.

My grip on the wheel tightened, knowing she was too stubborn to admit that she was in pain or worried.

_________________________________

Here I sat, looking at her body in a florescently-lit hospital room. Again. She was so peaceful with the pillow scrunched around her face a little, causing her to tilt it to the side. Her face was unmoving and beautiful as ever, but I was far from distracted.

When we arrived at the hospital, I told them the situation quickly, and they rolled her into a room. This time, as her husband, I was allowed to follow.

I sat patiently waiting for one of the doctors that passed the door to turn into our room.

She woke up calmly, but none of the doctors had come back since she had been tested. It had been close to 3 hours now, and my level of worry had increased with every passing minute.

"Look who's back," I said with a smile as she rolled over to face me.

"You know, I could really get used to these drugs that they have me hooked up to," she laughed and I reached for her hand over the bed.

"I'm sure you could," I began to laugh with her. "How are you feeling?"

"Right now, mostly just woozy because of all the stuff they have me on, but other than that, I think I'm fine," she smiled.

"Good," I was glad that she felt better, but with no results, I was still on edge.

I suspect that we waited another half hour or so until a doctor came in.

"Hello," he said flatly, clearly tired from a long day of work.

"Hi again," she smiled a little.

The doctor returned the favor and pulled a chair up beside her bed on the opposite side of me.

"I have good news and bad news the doctor said, mostly to me, avoiding eye contact with Leylah.