Chapter 1 :Leylah

Leylah's POV:

The steam of my shower still suffocated me and clung to my mirror. Wiping away the steam, I soon regretted the decision. The toll of the move showed in my face. I was never proud of the way I looked back home, but the girl looking back into my eyes seemed so dazed and disheveled. Scoffing, I soon looked around the still unfamiliar bathroom and sought out a hair band to pull back the wet dirty blonde hair that stuck to my face.

As I tried to wash off any leftover makeup from under my eyes, I felt the water from my still dripping hair slowly slide down my back. I shivered and continued to wipe until the artificial black was gone, and the dark circles were all that remained. I stared blankly at the stranger in the mirror and soon turned away and grabbed the nearest itchy towel.

I looked down at my arms. As it was, the only time that they were bare was while I showered. The pink tears in my pale skin reminded me of how my emotions spin out of control as I lay down each night. Greeted with the inability to sleep, and also with the urge and passion to ruin myself.

I just shook my head and scurried to my room. The creaky wooden floors assaulted my freshly washed feet. I soon began to shiver again due to the cold passing straight through my legs and up my spine.

It had only been about a week since I was presented with a new apartment, bedroom, and life.

My parents said that the move would help everyone because my dad's recent job offer promised a pay raise, and who could resist London?

As I layed on my bed, I lost myself in the thoughts of the whole process.

I wasn't close to my parents at all, but I was 20 and should have moved out 2 years before. The only problem that I faced was that of being completely lost with myself and doubting every move I made. How was I supposed to go make a living with that mindset?

The only thing that stayed consistent in my constantly wandering mind was the music on a loop in my head.

Through the notes and lyrics, I lost myself in way that couldn't be described with words, but was just as refreshing because I didn't find myself lost in the usual unnerving way.

Music soon became the closest thing I got to a high.

I snapped out of my daydream to the sound of my cat knocking over my set of record and cds.

"Blimey Jude!"

He scampered away and slipped out of my room without being trampled by the avalanche that he caused.

"Why do I even try to keep anything straight with you around?"

Even though he was already downstairs, I still complained. I mean he is my only company. My parents, sister, and I moved, but my sister and I managed to snag our own apartments. Probably best. When we all lived together, things never ended well.

Since no one was in the relative vicinity of me other than my silent neighbors, I pulled the Queen album from its wrapping and I set up my turn table.

As Freddie Mercury's voice echoed in my ears, I couldn't help but lose myself in his words.

Can, anybody, find me, somebody to, Love?

I swayed back and forth for a few seconds then I was shocked back to reality by a gust of the fall breeze that I failed to block with my open window.

I knew that I forgot something before I showered.

Slightly annoyed with my scattered mind, I ran to the window and started to close it. But as I caught a glimpse of the city around me, I finally sat on the frame. There was a terrace, but I was still in my towel. Probably not the best idea Leylah I told myself.

As I stared at the twinkling lights of the building in the dark and dry night indigo, I had the first real feeling of home yet.

I leaned my head back against the wall and stared for what had to be at least 5 minutes. The dry wind didn't seem to phase me anymore. Just as I had convinced myself that I was semi warm, I was greeted with another chilly gust.

Dammit.

I pushed myself off the wall and walked to the boxes that still sat in my floor.

Maybe I could find some clothes to cover up with to enjoy the view before I passed out from exhaustion.

I pulled out the first shirt and pajama pants that I could grab, a loosely fit old shirt of my brother's, and plaid worn out pants.

I smiled at the thought of my brother warming me when I felt least at home.

I pulled on some nearby socks and old boots. On my way onto the terrace, I picked up my comforter and wrapped myself in its warmth.

I had almost sat down when I remembered what I was missing. I brought myself to sit up and walk back inside, greeted by Queen and Jude who peeked through the door.

"Sorry I yelled love"

I looked at him with sorry eyes and he walked up to my leg and brushed against me. His black fur sticking to my pants.

"This is why we have trust issues little man. " I laughed.

Making a face at him, I made my way over to my bed and pulled out the chest from underneath.

With the lid open, I grabbed the jumper that I had washed countless time at home. I pressed my face to it.

Pain rushed through my body, but I told myself that crying would solve nothing.

I turned my near tears into a bittersweet grin and closed the chest. Since my family constantly felt the need to clean clothes, my old home smelled of detergent and laundry every day. I insured the smell to stay with a stash of dryer sheets that I picked up on our last routes out of the house.

As I picked up Jude, I walked onto the terrace and took in the view and slight sting on my clean face and hair.

He sat in my lap and I wrapped us up into my white comforter.

The lone folding chair that I salvaged proved to be slightly uncomfortable, but I didn't even care in the moment. I was with the closest things that I had to home and, for now, the city welcomed me and my new life.

I felt myself drifting off as I compared to the lonely moon to the lights and it all became a blur.

The last notes of the song lulled me to sleep.

Find me somebody to love.

____________________________________

To anyone reading this, thank you for reading. I have a feeling I am going to enjoy this a lot. I also plan on updating often considering that I do anything but school work. Comment what you guys think. Stay beautiful x :)