Chapter 40 | Before I Learn The Truth

C H A P T E R  40

C H A P T E R 40

I wait inside my room listening for any sign of Gavin arriving home. I knew he would come over because that's what he usually does. He'll come over and tell me all these sweet nothings, but that's all they meant to me now, nothing.

I have this horrible ache in my chest that's causing me to worry. It's telling me that I knew something wasn't right all along but I chose to ignore it. I was blinded by the feeling of someone giving me the slightest bit of attention. I ignored the truth for temporary happiness.

The sound of his car pulling into his driveway causes me to spring up from my position and I start mentally preparing myself for what's to come.

After a couple of minutes I hear footsteps approaching my door and it opens. Gavin walks in and gives me a smug smile. I nervously look away, I don't know where to begin?

"Hey how are feeling?" He asks collapsing on my bed.

"Good well, actually, Ash came over today." I say fiddling with my blanket. "Yeah he told me Zach's side of the story, about Mia."

Gavin gets up and slowly turns to look at me. "Zach's side of the story?"

"Did you lie to me? You told me Mia and Zach made a bet behind your back but now I'm hearing you and Mia made a bet and I just need to know the truth." I say holding back the tears that are trying to break free.

"Ash said this? The guy who's literally against everything I do?" Gavin stands up and I get off the bed and approach him. "I didn't lie-"

"Why am I not believing you?" I mutter.

I look into his eyes but they weren't the same eyes I've always looked into before.

"That night I told you about Mia, it wasn't my story it was Zach's." Gavin sighs and looks at me. "I didn't want to lose you."

"Then what's the real story? Your story?" I choke on my words and sit on the bed. I was already losing all my energy.

"You want to know the real story?" Gavin throws his arms up in frustration. "Mia met Zach that same summer I met her at Mabel's and she told me all about what was going on between them. So I messed around with her behind Zach's back for the fun of it. Then one night Mia goes and tells me she's in love with him. I fucked her just to prove to her she wasn't and that ends up with me taking her fucking virginity. Then I left without giving a shit because I didn't care. I moved on to the next desperate girl and then she died."

I feel the tears grazing down the sides of my face and I wipe them away. So he really was the monster everybody warned me about.

"There's the truth are you happy now?"

"You said you didn't care for her but why would you care about her loving someone else?" I let out the words. "You did care."

"No I didn't." He snaps at me and then realizes he's getting a little too angry.