Chapter 30 | Before I Learn To Swim

C H A P T E R  30

C H A P T E R  30

"Can I ask you about your dad?" I ask, I wanted Gavin to feel comfortable opening up to me like I had. I get that it's sometimes harder for some people I just needed to know. I see Gavin's body tense up and his green eyes meet with mine.

"There's not really much to know about him."

"You told me he's the reason you have trust issues." I remind him, I should stop. "I just want to know more about you because I feel like so much is missing."

"I was eight when he told me he was going to grab a few scratchers from a local gas station. I guess he won because he never came back." Gavin says it so casually I can't tell if he's even hurt by it. "After that my mom sent me to stay with my grandparents for a while and when I was reunited with my mother she had this great job she bought a car and a house, then came the drinking habit, I could hear the men coming in at night so once I turned fifteen I started going out a lot more and I wouldn't come home for days sometimes, I never wanted to see her that way, using herself like that."

My heart aches for him. The green eyed boy wishing for a family he could call his. I understand why he chose the parties and sex, he was trying to escape. He had me now and maybe one day we could both escape together.

"It's fucked up I know I should have been there for her but when my dad left she wasn't there for me she sent me away and thought things would work out in the end."

"I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have-"

"No, don't be sorry you needed to know. I needed you to know why I seem so fucked up." Gavin reaches for my hand and takes it in his. "You're the only person who knows the truth now."

I smile at him until are waiter Anthony interrupts this moment to bring us the check. Gavin doesn't want to show me the bill and I'm sure it's a lot more expensive than I even think it is. We exit the restaurant laughing at the strange looks we're being given by the older couples sitting inside there.

"Where to next?" I chirp inside the car.

Gavin looks over to me. "Who said I had anything else planned?" I can tell by the way he's holding back a smile he's just trying to annoy me. "I had a few places in mind, do you just want to head to the field?"

"You don't plan on seducing me there?" I stifle a laugh.

"I plan on doing a lot more than that." He winks at me and turns the key to his car to start the engine I feel my cheeks turning red. Gavin takes me down the familiar dirt road and pulls into the same field as before except this time the grass doesn't stand as tall and trash has been left from last weeks party.

We both get out of the car and Gavin meets me on the other side and picks me up.

I look into his eyes and we both stare intently at each other. He places me on top of the hood and I lean into him. Are lips meet before eagerly deepening the kiss. Gavin's tongue washes over mine and he bites my bottom lip a moan escapes from my lips and I tug on his hair.