Chapter 11 | Before I Text Him Back

C H A P T E R  11

C H A P T E R 11

I'm not sure what time I got home or how I even got to my bed. Yet here I was in dry clothes. Was it all a dream?

"Good morning." My mom says scrambling the eggs.

"Good morning." I said rubbing my tired eyes.

"Did you have fun last night?"

"Fun?" I said.

"Gavin brought you home at around two in the morning." She looks up at me, disappointment spreading across her face. "You could have-"

"Mom." I cut her off. "Gavin-"

"Gavin told me all about it, he found you drowning in the pool because you were so out of it."

What?

"Out of it? Some girl pushed me into a pool because she was jealous I was talking to her so called boyfriend." I shout. "I wasn't drunk."

"What am I supposed to think!" She calls out. "You've never acted this way before."

"Exactly ever since that jerk was invited over!" I argue.

"You're sick Alex."

I roll my eyes at her. "You don't think I know that?"

"I think you do know, which is why I'm wondering why you've been so foolish."

I don't say anything and instead I walk upstairs without a word. Why was I being so stupid and why did Gavin tell my mother I was drunk?

I got to my room and dramatically close my curtains just incase Gavin decided to show his face and then I spent the rest of my time drawing inside my notebook. I focused on every line gliding my pencil around until it slips and makes a horrible line across the canvas. I drop my pencil and stare at my hand that is trembling and slam it against my desk.

I take my head in my hands holding back the tears that are threatening to escape. All I can remember are the words coming from the doctors.

"Make sure you tell us if there are any signs of trembling, red dots under the skin or complete vision loss."

"We'd have to stop the medication if you start getting any of those symptoms."

The medication was the only thing keeping me sane at this point. It was helping me live as regular of a life I could be and without it, I'd have to resort to more dangerous things like chemo. I open my door and walk downstairs before hearing my mother speak.

"I thought this would work out." She says through the phone. I hide behind a wall and listen. "No one plans on having a child with cancer."