Chapter XXXXXI ~ Thonia

Jack's alarm was blaring out like a wild tiger growling in the wild from the other room. I hazily woke up and checked the time on the watch Josh gave me for Christmas.

My phone buzzed because of a voice mail from Josh. "Goodmorning," he said in a drowsy and dreamy voice that I played more than three times.

I texted a short 'good morning too' then the second voice mail arrived. "Graduation practice and distribution of clearance. Don't be late, okay? Will pick you up." Oh. Right. Exams were over and I thought it was already summer, well, not for seniors. Seniors went to school a week more for graduation practices and other final things we had to finish before leaving highschool.

I rubbed my eyes and turned on my side. I was not in the mood to go to school. I hate this day, the date...

A knock startled me and cleared me from ooze. The door opened. "Breakfast is ready." Jack announced, stared for me for while and then left. I buried my face in the comforts of my bed and finally went out to finish this day, just like every other years.

"Goodmorning, Thonia!" Jude greeted happily as he set four plates on the table. Mom smiled at me while she was scrolling on her phone. I ignored their warmness and sat on my place.

Jack was flipping pancakes in the kitchen. The sweet smell filled the air and made me instantly hungry. "What's the plan for the day?" he asked. No one spoke; somehow I envy his cheery mood especially when everyone else had none.

Mom sipped from her black coffee. "This afternoon," she said nonchalantly. Afternoon? We always visit the cemetery first thing in the morning every year.

"How about now?" I asked. I want to go there and spend the whole day lying on the grass beside my father's tomb. They all looked at me but no one answered.

After a moment, Jack turned the stove off and said, "Yes, how about after breakfast?"

"Thonia has school, hasn't she?"

"Just graduation practices and clearance. Nothing so important; besides... what's the point of going to practices when I can't even go to the real one." I explained, trying to keep my voice neutral. Jack set the pancakes in the middle of our table and I eagerly took a round to satisfy my cravings.

My phone buzzed again. It was Asaila. Where are you?

At home. I messaged.

Not going to the practice? How about clearance?

Maybe no. Or later, not sure. Maybe after we went to the cemetery I would just lock myself in my room and let the day pass like the wind. She did not reply. I messaged Josh not to pick me up, he asked why and I said I would go out with my family, nothing much of an explanation. I thought they both knew what this day was.

Jude nudged me. "Finish your pancake so we could go early." I nodded and kept my phone. The taste of the pancake was so good and overwhelming. Another big thumbs up to my brother. I wanted to praise him if the atmosphere was not just so gloomy.

After we all finished eating and preparing, on the way we went to the cemetery or Memorial Park as I prefer to call. My mom drove, Jude sat on the passenger's and I was with Jack at the back. The road was wet but the puddles were now drying up. Jude turned the radio on because the silence was indeed powerful. The DJ gave a lame joke, it was so lame that Jude changed the channel immediately, finding a good station; most talked about the start of the summer and graduation. We settled on a song about summer love. It was chilling and peaceful song.