Chapter XXXIX ~ Joshua

Clothes? Check.

Toilettries? Check.

Sleeping bags and tents? Check.

Relief Goods? Check.

Snacks? Check.

Thonia... ?

We gathered around the school's covered court before we rode the van that would bring us to the harbor. Before leaving home, I had packed all the things I needed inside my camouflage backpack with the alien keychain. My whole family would come. After weeks of preparation, we got ready for the outreach program we conducted. It was not easy, but it was very fun to think we could help almost two hundred people.

I was searching for Thonia since I got here but I could not find her. I got my phone out from my pocket and was about to call her when May poked my shoulder using a hardbound PharmaSilva folder. "Hi," she said. "Dad wants me to give you these."

"What are those?" I asked and studied the stacks of papers inserted inside the blue and orange folder.

She folded her hands formally and explained. "Lists of families and participants in the program, budgeting, items inventory, events and schedule checklist, and the list of volunteers, just so everyone knows." She smiled and added, "Including yours and Thonia's names."

I ignored her tease and went over the schedule. Our expected time of arrival this evening if we departed at seven thirty in the morning was seven o'clock in the evening. Then the next day, we had to wake up and have breakfast at five in the morning. There was the word Sharp! in parentheses below the time frame. For our event, it will start at eight with different speeches from authorities who organized the outreach program, in whom my parents and our school principal are included. The invocation would be sung by Thonia Buenviaje. There were also some intermission numbers from the dance and glee clubs, just like what they promised. After lunch, there were games and other productive activities until five. When the sun sets and all ate supper, the facilitators planned a camp fire with group sharing from the families. I noticed that it would only run from six thirty to eight. After that the schedule was blank until our call time at ten. "No schedule?" I pointed to the blank space.

She moved closer and took a look at the paper. "I don't know, but more probably because there's nothing written in there."

I nodded and took in my plan. "Okay, tell Dad I want to fill the schedule."

"What?" May seemed not to believe in what I've said but saw my serious face so she showed a thumb up. "Sure, I'll tell him. But how will I explain?"

"I will be the one, just tell him I am on my plan."

After May nodded and left, I finally saw a glance of Thonia. "All ready?" I walked beside her and took the paper bag she was holding. It was supplies same as what I was already holding. My arm was aching because it was a little too heavy, but I did not want Thonia to feel the same. "This is heavy!" I told her.

"Yeah, but I can." She told me and tried to get it back. "Let me help you. I don't want you to struggle as much as you don't want me. So give the lighter to me!"

"I am a guy, it's just right."

Our argument was ended by a man who wore a blue PharmaSilva t-shirt with orange collar and lining just like most Dad's employees. "These are what we need." He said and took both paper bags from me without much effort and left.

"Joshy and Thony!" Fredd ran to us with a backpack and two hand bags. "Let's go!" he said and dropped the two hand bags on the ground without much care.

"Whose are those?" I was about to laugh.

"Mine, ofcourse."

"All yours?" Thonia asked with surprised. I packed all my things in a single backpack while Fredd brought thrice of what I brought inside two monster baggages.