Comforting When You Need It The Most

He nodded softy, his heart aching in his chest as he listened to the heart-wrenching cries coming from your mother. He could hear you giggling away in the living room, at the TV playing some random show, and his lips turned into a soft and sympathetic curve. He didn't know how to tell you. How would he tell the love of his life something so heartbreaking? When he answered the ringing phone, he expected it to be Niall. Wondering if he wanted to go out for beers and a late tea. But when he heard the cries from your mother, he knew the worst had happened.

He'd tried to make your mind distant from the thought of your father passing away, and so far he'd done well. Lung cancer hadn't been a running disease in your family, but having your father diagnosed with it brought huge stress and distress amongst your close family. Harry had done everything in his power to make you distant from anything that may happen. He always made sure he was there to visit your father with you, and he was always there to comfort you when you were having a tough day.

Because he knew that you'd go into meltdown, and he hated seeing you distressed. He had to hold his tears in when he watched you cry, because he had to be strong. He had to be your shoulder to cry on. And he had to be your rock. Yet, his brain was making him think he couldn't do anything to help you. That he couldn't take the pain away from you.

He remembered your breakdown, like it imprinted on his brain. It was a permanent picture and he couldn't erase is.

His boots squeaked along the floor of the hospital corridor, your cries and screams being heard from three turns away. His eyes were burning, and his hair was wind-bitten and styled messily. His hands running through it. He dodged the trolleys in the corners of the corridor, rushing down to where the receptionist told him the room was. He saw your mother stood outside the door, with you sobbing and crying into her shoulder.

"Harry! Oh thank goodness.. We need you to get her out of her, okay?" Your mother begged, as he ran up to the both of you. He placed a warm yet shaky hand on the small of your back, drawing soft circles into your clothed back. "He's took a turn for the worst, and we don't know what's happening. They ushered us both out before we could ask what was wrong" Your mother whispered, as she looked to white knuckles gripping at her t-shirt.

"Sweetheart... Baby, come here. Let me take you home" Harry whispered, as he pressed his palms into your hips. "Sweetheart, c'mon" Harry begged, as he felt his own eyes begin to sting more. He was always close to your father; he was like a second one to the tall boy.

"No, Harry! You wouldn't understand, okay? You've never had your father become terminally ill. You've still got your father. You've still got Robin. I've got a father who could die any time" You cried, as you turned to stare at him. Your cheeks red and raw, and your eyes bloodshot. Your voice was rough, and hoarse, and your lips were wet. "I hate this! He doesn't deserve this, Harry!" You cried, as you pushed past him, running down the corridor and into the toilets at the end.

"I need you to take her home, love. She's going to break down even more. She shouldn't be here" Your mother whispered, as she took hold of Harry's hand. Her own tears dribbling down her cheeks. "She is too fragile, and she cannot be here. I'm scared for her, Harry. She's never been like this" She stated, as Harry looked to the toilet you walked into. His hands shaky.

"I'll get her home with me, okay? Give (Y/F/N) my love, yeah? Tell him I'll take proper care of her. She's my world, and I'm going to try everything in my power to make her happy" Harry reassured, rubbing his palms up your mothers arms. "Stay strong, yeah? Give me a ring if anything happens, and I'll bring her to you when everything settles" He smiled, as he pressed a kiss to her cheek.

* *

He knocked on the door to the toilet cubicle, his cheeks pink from walking into the ladies toilets. He could see you curled up on the floor, your sobs audible and it hurt him. He hated seeing you so upset. "Sweetheart?"