You're In A Fight and The Lift Stops Working

You were irritated to say the least. It had been almost a whole day since Harry had spoken to you. For you two, the least you've ever spoken, before this, is when you're sleeping.

Harry had always made sure to let you know that he loves you. Whether it be the simple three word phrase, flowers when he's off at tour, or just a random hug or kiss throughout the day.

Lately, he's been distant. Rarely speaking to you, always seeming to be in another world. His phone is always in his hand, and it seems that he is constantly making phone calls or having to send a 'quick text'.

You were about to break.

The tour was starting up again, and being Harry's girlfriend of three years, you were accompanying him on the road. The flight to Cardiff was a bit long from L.A., and Harry seemed preoccupied the whole flight, rummaging through his duffle bag multiple times.

"Hey, what're you doing over there?" you say, nudging your foot lightly into his calf.

"Nothing," he says flatly, turning back to the window, making you want to disappear.

***

The long flight was taking its toll on your body. You were tired both emotionally and physically, lazily walking to grab your baggage and make your way to the car that would take you and Harry to your hotel.

It seemed like a much longer travel than it actually was, due to the amount of harsh silence that filled the area.

"You could take a butcher knife to slice through this fucking silence, c'mon H, what're you doing over there? Put the damn phone down," Niall says, clearly irritated this his best mate was ignoring his best friend.

"Shut up, Niall," he says, turning to face Niall's direction, "Just mind your own damn business."

"Look, man, I know your stressed over something, but you need to cut the attitude," Niall says, looking at Harry with astonishment written across his face.

Within another ten minutes, the car had stopped at a hotel, the bags had been unloaded from the boot, and security was checking rooms for all of the boys and the rest of the team.

"Here Y/N, this is the room key, your bags have already been brought up for you," Preston says with a smile, obviously seeing how your boyfriend was behaving.

You walk towards the elevator, Harry following behind you, probably realising he did not have a key. As soon as you hit the button for the eighth floor, the elevator starts to rise. You finally heave a sigh of relief as you know that soon you would be able to sleep on a bed. But on the fifth floor, leading into the sixth, a red light flashes and the elevator stops.

A voice is projected through a red speaker, saying the help is on the way and it should not take too long.

You slide down the wall, slinking into yourself and pulling your knees to your chest. You realise that Harry was still standing on the opposite side of the elevator.

"Would you mind telling me what's wrong with you? You haven't spoken to me in days."

"Nothing, Y/N. Nothing," He says, hand leaning down into his pocket, assumingly grabbing his phone.

"No, Harry. It's not fucking nothing! You don't speak to me, kiss me, hug me, even say hello for God's sake. What the fuck could I have possibly done wrong? Are you cheating on me? Because Harry you better hope to God that if you are, that this elevator works again before you die because I do not deserve that after the amount time we've spent together," you say, your voice and words spilling out much faster than you had wished for.

"Are you fucking kidding me, Y/N? You think I would cheat on you after three years. You're unbelievable. I would never do such a thing. And if you think that I would, then maybe we should just end it now," he says, not daring to say those words whilst looking in your eyes, knowing he would break from the hurt that his heart felt at your accusations.

"What am I supposed to think, Harry? You never leave your phone around. You're always looking through that damn bag that you never let leave your side," you say, gesturing to the duffle that was sitting next to his standing figure.

"I don't know want you want from me, Y/N. Did you think maybe I need my phone around because I have work, that has to call me at odd times? You think I like not spending time with you? I love you, for fuck's sake. I would rather just sit with you in an empty room than take all of those calls, but I have to. I don't have a choice," he says, chin starting to wobble, obviously seeing how hurt you have become, also letting his emotions getting the best of him. You stand up and walk to Harry, slightly rubbing his back the way he always likes when he's upset.

"C'mon, sit down," you says, lightly pulling his hand in the direction of the floor.

"I can't. I can't because I don't want to hide anymore secrets, or fight about secrecy that I didn't want to keep."

"Harry, what the hell are you going on about?" you say, pulling away slightly as he leans down into his bag and pulls out something, quickly shoving it into his jacket pocket and then standing back up.

"I had everything planned out. A dinner in our room, alone. Secluded and away from the rest of the world. Just you and me. I was going to memorise something that Gem had written for me, but I can't do it. I can't handle you thinking that something was going on, when I was just trying to keep this a secret until it was time."

"What was time, Harry?"

"This," and Harry got down on one knee, pulling a velvet box, and slipping it open to reveal the most stunning engagement ring, you had ever seen, "I love you with every ounce of my being. I want to wake up next to you every day of my life. I want to see you with a pregnant belly, knowing that we made the baby together, it will half of me and half of you. I want all of you and everything that makes you up. I want to learn about you in a way I haven't before. I want to be with you. I just want you and me forever," he says a tear rolling down his face, "so Y/N, would you so me the absolute honour of being my wife?"

"Oh my God, Harry, yes. Yes," you say, tear free-flowing out of your eyes, leaning down to kiss him, with both forgiveness and delight, with pure bliss and smiles. You lean back, allowing him to slip the ring on your finger.

"We're engaged. Harry, we're engaged!" you say, leaning over him again and kissing him.

"Does that mean you forgive me?" Harry says, chuckling as he assumes he already knows the answer.

"You're such a pain in my ass, you know that?"

"Yeah, but now I'll always be a pain in your ass. Because guess what? We're getting married!" he says, picking you up and swinging you in a small circle. Both of you not realising that the elevator had started to work again.

You lean back in to kiss him, both of you oblivious to the elevator door opening again.

"Mates, he did it! And I'm pretty sure she said yes! We were starting to wonder what was going on in 'der. With all the yelling and all," Niall says, a laugh escaping his lips as he leans in and congratulates both of you.

***

"I can't believe we're engaged. Like, Harry, we're going to get married."

"I know. I am beyond excited to be able to call you my missus."

"We have to wait a bit for that one, mister."

"But not too long anymore. I love you so much," Harry says, cheeks turning a blissful shade of pink and kissing you over and over again.

"I love you, too," you reply, a smile planting itself on your lips as you kiss your, now, fiancé.

You fall asleep, his arms protectively wrapped around your body, as you hands lay plastered on top of his own, the feeling of a ring on your finger implanting itself in your brain.