Chapter 34 - Set up, and Caught!

Justin took my hand and led me inside the house and where the kitchen was. Once inside, he ordered me to sit on the stool by the island while he sat in front of me. I nervously chewed on my lip.

"What is going on, Alex?" What was going on? These threats, these horrific pictures in front of me, dead bodies...all this scenarios were terrifying me and no matter how many times I told myself that they were doing nothing but getting under my skin to provoke me, I failed to understand. I really wanted to just be strong but one thing kept me from doing so.

Threats. Who and what am I going to loose that I am unaware about? Why is getting this stone for Justin so difficult?

If I open my mind and let Justin in, he might just see everything that I had calculated before we got here. The consequences wouldn't be so good.

"I'm just...so darn hungry. And bored. Maybe we can go out?" I lied through my teeth as I managed to keep a bored expression on my face. Justin chuckled.

"I told you I had something planned. You didn't give me a chance, baby." Justin stood up and walked to the cabinet. Ironically, he pulled out a basket of fruits that was kept in there and threw it at me. I caught it, reflexively, and stared at it like it had two heads growing out of it. I chuckled.

  "Is this safe to consume?" I asked.

  "Why wouldn't it be?"

   "How long has it been in there?"

   "Long as I could remember. Apples to expire, Angel." Justin sat back down.

    "But they can rot!"

   "Does the apple look rotten to you?" He asked, chuckling. I was taken a back a little. I twirled the apply around on my palm and carefully examined it. Not a single mark of rotten. Without a word uttered, I boldly took a bite out of it. The juice dripped from my mouth as I chewed.

  The apple was fresh and red and juicy. Wow.

"Magic?" I asked. No amount of Apple can taste this good and juicy. Surely, they must have done something to it.

"You already know." I smiled as I took another bite.

   "So, I was wondering. There's a party at the beach not too far away from here this evening. If you're interested, we can go down there. This might just be a grand celebration for you." Justin took my hand in his and with my other free hand, I dropped the half eaten Apple on the island.

  "You know, you might just be the world's first boyfriend to ever suck at keeping surprises to himself," I laughed. Justin chuckled as he nodded.

    "Yeah, well, I'm not an expert."

    "It doesn't take an expert to do that," I teased. Justin tightened his grip on my hand.

     "Shut up and just say yes." I laughed and nodded. Who could turn an offer down like that?

    "You know, my mother would just freak if she found out I was across the country with a guy," I said, chuckling.

     "Why?" He laughed.

     "She's not a big fan of me traveling especially with a man. This might just be my first birthday without her," I stated, getting overly emotional on the last part. Justin grabbed hold of my hand again and pulled me up to him as he wrapped his arms around me again. He kissed my forehead.

  "She might just need to get over it. It's her lost and my gain. I promise this won't be such a bad one. Maybe then we will let your mom know how much fun you really had," he encouraged me, smiling. I grinned.