Chapter 43

Aiden

The creature fires off a few rounds, but the werewolves prove too quick. They attack it from opposite sides, taking the thing down to the ground. My heart soars. Surely two full-grown werewolves can kill it.

The black werewolf flings the pistol away from its owner. The gun bounces off some rocks from the broken wall. The fight between the three becomes a blur.

Hits and counter-hits.

Movements so fast I can't keep up with them. It's like a super-hero fight being fast-forwarded.

The creature gets behind the white werewolf and rips open the wolf's back with the knife, making it scream.

The black one tosses the attacker into the air. The creature lands on top of a bed of roses.

The white wolf falls to its knees as the black one comforts it, but the Demon Skin doesn't give them any time.

It jumps to its feet, launching throwing stars at them. So fast it's like bullets from an automatic rifle.

The black wolf shields the other wolf, taking hits from the silver stars that bite into its back. The black wolf grunts in pain, turns on the Demon Skin, and charges.

The long knife catches the wolf's mouth and splits its cheek open. The black wolf reacts to the pain, giving the creature another half-second to stab the wolf in the stomach. The Demon Skin goes into a frenzy, stabbing and stabbing the wolf all over its underside. The swiftness and tenacity of the action leaves me stunned.

The black wolf collapses to the ground, the blows too much for the wolf to handle.

The Demon Skin leaps for the pistol and fires a few rounds into the white wolf, making it cry out. The black wolf cries with the white wolf, animal sympathizing with animal.

Somehow the black wolf gathers enough strength to charge again.

But the silver bullets get to him first, making the mighty black werewolf fall to the ground.

He doesn't get up again.

Oh my God.

Bree and her parents lay across the grass. The deadly silver inside them still on the attack, burning up their insides, slowly taking them out of this world forever.

The Demon Skin moves to the iron bench in no particular hurry. It unties the knots of rope and flings them away. "You can go, human. Your purpose is at an end."

At first I don't move. I was convinced this creature would kill me too, its taste for violence not satisfied by the elimination of three werewolves. But the Demon Skin ignores me and floats near his prey, watching them die.

I'm free to walk away. I'm free to go back to my room and stare at that shotgun again. I'm free to kill myself again.

That doesn't make any sense, does it?

So what the hell do you want, Aiden? Do you want to live? Or do you want to die?

Live.

With Bree.

Life would be priceless with her in it. Spending every minute of every day with this girl would be my heaven on earth. But my chance for that slips away. That hope rests inside her heart that I must keep beating.

Bree's eyes beg. They want me to help. They want me to fight.

But the coward shakes me hard...Three werewolves attacked this thing. Werewolves! What are you going to do against it? You can't even beat up a couple of bullies let alone take on this soldier from hell. Guns don't even hurt this thing. Guns! Run away, Aiden. It gave you a choice to live, so run away!