Chapter 7

Aiden

The car swerves under me. The horn of the SUV sounds loud, almost on top of us. Airbags didn’t exist in 1967, so I wait for the dashboard to slam into my face. Would I hear the impact first? Would I hear Bree scream? Would I hear myself scream?

I press my lips together. Not me. For once I’m going to die like a man. I wait for the impact.

And wait.

Nothing.

No skidding tires. No crunching glass. No screams. The noise of the V-8 drops to a purr as Bree releases the gas pedal.

I open my eyes. The road is clear ahead.

Bree slows way down and whips the car into a parking lot. She brakes to a stop. “Why did you do that?”

I don’t say anything.

“Why did you take off your seat belt?”

“Why were you trying to kill us?” I ask.

“I wouldn’t hit another car on purpose.”

I shrug. Sure fooled me.

Bree pauses, thinking about something. “You wanted me to do it, didn’t you?”

“No, I didn’t.”

“Why do you want to die?”

I feel naked and vulnerable. Exposed to a world that wants to laugh at my joke of a life. The pain surges through me, and it hurts. I don’t want anyone to know because it’s no one’s business. I unlock the door and push it open. “I’ll walk home from here.” I grab my backpack and jump out of the car, slamming the door shut.

“Please come back here.” Bree’s voice sounds light and gentle. It tempts me to follow it.

“Don’t worry. I won’t bother you anymore.” I walk, and the engine cuts off behind me. A car door groans open.

“Aiden.” Her voice sounds stronger.

I keep walking.

Bree suddenly appears in my path. Whoa. How did she…? Did she run up here? That’s way too fast.

“Stop walking…please?”

I make a move to go around her. Bree thrusts her arm across my chest. Whoa. Her arm is like this iron girder. It doesn’t give an inch. Does Bree work out at a gym?

“I’m sorry I did that.” Bree’s crazy amber eyes that threw our lives into danger vanish. Warmer eyes replace them as her hand relaxes against my chest and lingers there a moment before she lowers her arm. “The thrill ride is officially over.” Bree flashes a smile to reassure me as she drifts back to the car. The driver’s door groans open as Bree slides back behind the wheel.

Her gentle voice gives me this weird comfort, like I could trust her. That weird comfort draws me back inside the car.

The night floods my bedroom as I try to close my eyes and sleep, but I can’t. I keep replaying the afternoon over and over in my head. How nervous I felt waiting for Bree in the parking lot. The fear that she was going to run me down. The fear she that was going to kill us. The fear that turned into a painful embarrassment, but Bree didn’t make fun of me. She didn’t turn on me like Pamela did when I opened up to her. Bree sort of cared. I don’t know why, because she hardly knows me. I’m some loser who sits behind her in Algebra. Bree is so weird, but, like, awesome weird. The I-want-to-know-more-about-her weird.