Chapter 21

Bree

Blood pools near Aiden's mouth as his body lies over the rough pavement.

His cheeks glisten with tears as Kirk slams his foot into his gut,

making Aiden flinch in pain. Kirk's two friends watch and enjoy the

violence.

"Told you this was gonna happen, asshole." Kirk struts around his victim

with this false confidence.

"Stop it!" Issy yells from the ground as blood drips from his nose and

lips. I bet he tried to help and was hit too.

"Shut up, Lizzie." Mooney the skinhead fakes a lunge at Issy, making the boy scoot back.

Kirk's cowboy boot strikes Aiden in the stomach again. He coughs and dry-heaves. Hate burns in me. The wolf wants to come out and fight to protect a member of my pack.

That's not quite right. My feelings for this boy...consume me. They go deep.

Deeper than protecting a member of the pack. It's much more personal than that. It's protecting my mate. Kirk is attacking my mate. The boy I love more than anything in this world. The boy I can't stand to see getting hurt.

The wolf strains against the girl. It wants to attack and kill the threat to my mate.

No!

Suppress it. Stay human. If anyone sees you as a wolf, it will put your family in danger, and you can't risk their safety.

Piss on the sun. These stupid boys...don't they realize that I'm a bomb? Hurt what I love and I will go up like a warehouse full of fireworks, damaging everything within the blast radius. I can't stop this fury. If I don't release it...the fur and the claws come out.

"Get off of him," I growl as I march towards the three boys. "Leave the parking lot now or I'm calling the cops." I'm trying my best to give Dumb, Dumber, and Dumbest an escape route. They don't want to test me right now.

Kirk folds his arms. "Fantastic. It's crouching-dog girl. You here to bark for your boyfriend?"

Mooney and Jack laugh.

Kirk stares at me. "Yuck. Do you actually kiss this, Aiden?"

These guys need to stop and run away right now. I can't hold her back if they—

"She's nasty looking," Jack says.

"Her body's okay," Mooney says. "Just have to put a bag over her head."

Kirk slams his boot into Aiden one last time. "Is that what you have to do before you touch her, Blow—?"

I slam Kirk hard against the ground. So fast no one even realizes what's going on. Kirk blows out all the air in his lungs. He'll be down for a moment or two.

I plant my feet as Mooney and Jack slowly realize Kirk is down on the ground.

Mooney takes hold of my T-shirt and pulls me in a hold.

I rip the boy off like a glove and throw him fifty feet as he shatters the window of a parked car. Mooney screams in pain. I think he broke some bones. Good.

Jack backs away from me, his eyes terrified. But it's too late for mercy now. I shove him as hard as I can, and his butt skims the surface of the parking lot for about seventy feet before his back strikes the curb. Jack rolls over in pain.

I close my eyes. The fury still boils like a pond of lava.

Calm down. You have to stay human. Keep it inside. Don't let it out.