“I think we’re safe,” Sarah declared, jumping off the altar. Ben was about to scold her before he stopped himself, realising the pointlessness of it.

“Great,” Ben replied clearing his throat, why was he nervous? Because he hadn’t actually stepped inside a church since he had been excommunicated, possibly. Perhaps it was because he had finally admitted to himself that he had turned his back on God and was now ashamed of returning, or perhaps it was because he knew there were demons roaming free upon the Earth and he was possibly about to cry out to them screaming his renewed faith in the Lord God. A sure fire way to get attention he thought.

He slowly approached the altar and felt a strange peace wash over him as he turned to see over the altar Andrew, Abigail, Sarah and Kyung all kneeling on the ground, awaiting their forgiveness of sins. Ben smiled, as memories of thousands of people he had prayed with, prayed for, and journeyed with as the head bishop of this church.

“The lord be with you,” he began, lifting his palms up towards them all.

“And also with you,” Abigail and Andrew repeated in unison, followed by Sarah and Kyung’s untimely echo.

“We are here today, by the grace of God. May he look down upon his children and know that his church is still unbroken during these dark times.” Ben noticed a single tear already trailing down Abigail’s cheek. For her, this was more than just a ceremony of re-joining. Surely she felt this was her last and truest reach for the Lord. 

“Blessed be God forever,” she said chokingly.

“Today, I share a reading, not from the bible, but from the word of God as written through my own hand. I had turned my back on the Lord and the words he had given me for many years. Now I return head bowed in humble repent asking for forgiveness,” Ben paused and looking down at the others he drew a deep breath as he took on exactly what he had just said.

It’s true, he had turned his back, but no longer, that was why he was here, why they were all here. He took a deep breath and continued, “And the lord created, within the depths of the darkest darkness, a seed of fruit that would ripen the new world. Tremble before the Lord, and pray for the new king’s protection, for the evil one shall seek him out, and should the worst come to pass, the world shall be given unto him. The lord God shall mourn his children’s choices, and leave them all to their fates as they did his only Son. This is the final test for God’s children. One life had brought sin to the world, one life had conquered death, and one life shall decide the world’s fate. This is the word of the Lord.”

“Praise be to God,” Abigail declared firmly.

“In this dark and God forsaken time. The flock that remain here remember that the Lord Jesus Christ died to take away our sins. Today we confess our sins and repent with all our hearts and with all our minds and with all our soul.” He waited until the younger ones imitated Andrew and Abigail’s bowed heads before continuing.

“Almighty God, We have disobeyed your commandments, we have resisted you and have failed to live by your generous and boundless love. We are sorry for all our sins. Father, forgive us through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.”

“Amen,” the group repeated as one, and Ben felt a wave of comfort run through his body as if an enormous burden had been lifted from his shoulders, but it was not over.

“The Lord God is ever patient, and all loving. Your sins are forgiven through the power of Jesus Christ our Lord. Live now, through the power of the Holy Spirit, and forgive others, as you have been forgiven.” Ben signed the cross in front of him and prayed silently that the others would be so blessed and truly forgiven for their sins.