Her Smile

Ugh, I have school tomorrow. That's right, my summer break is over, so that means that I'm probably not going to post as often 😭😢 I hope you guys like this chapter though, I'll see you guys later if I don't have my phone taken away because of school 😅 Agh. Someone save me. It's gonna the first day of 8th grade for me AND the first thing I'm going to learn in science is chemistry... HELLLPP 😆

Ash's P.O.V

As I walked, I kicked a rock repeatedly, bored as heck as I thought of an excuse to give the teacher.

I was going to be late for sure now. It took forever to walk to school.

"Ash?" A soft voice said from across from me.

I lifted my head up. I knew that soft, sweet voice from anywhere. Serena. She was on the other sidewalk to the right of me.

I gave a wide grin, partially because I was happy to see her, and partially because when ever I saw her, I couldn't help but smile. I don't know how she does it, but she does. Just like she gives me this indescribable feeling.

"Hey!" I yelled across the street as I ran towards her, but as I did,- I tripped over my own feet and almost landed down in the middle of the road, but I caught my balance just in time and continued to run towards her, embarrassed.

"Hey." She smiled, giggling.

I felt my heart give out another wave, making me become nervous and warm inside once she smiled.

"Why are you walking to school? I thought you took the bus." She looked up at me with her blue eyes.

Man, her eyes. Every bit of her is perfect. Her laugh. Her smile. Her honey blond hair. Her eyes. Her personality is so damn adorable-

"Ash?" Serena waved her hand in front of me.

"Uh- oh." I realized that I was starting at her with my mouth slightly open... that's embarrassing. "Yeah, about th- that. I kinda mis- missed the bus." I stuttered. "Wait." I looked back at Serena, realizing she was going to be late. "Why are you walking this late? Aren't you going to be late to school?"

"I have a shortcut that we can go through. It gets me to school quicker." Serena looked back ahead of her as we walked towards school. "Did you hear about the field trip that the 12th graders go to?" She said, slightly nervous.

A flashback of what happened at the last field trip flashed through my head.

I stopped walking as the images flashed through my head. I almost- I-

I looked down at the sidewalk, my mind flashing memories through my head.

Serena stopped walking as well and looked back at me. What's wrong?"

"Uh- nothing." I continued to walk.

"Basically, they go to San Diego and it turns out that we'll be going there once we get back from summer break." Serena exclaimed, slightly blushing.

I had to go on another field trip? No. Never again. And of course it had to be in California again.

"Once we get right back from school?" I looked at her in concern.

"No, about a week or two after we start school again." Serena said, looking ahead of her still.

"I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't go." I scratched the side of my cheek.

"What?" She looked over at me.

"I-" I stopped there. I didn't want to say anything and I didn't even know what to say in the first place, so I stayed quiet.

"Ash."

I lifted my head up once again to find Serena, but this time with a frown on her face.

"That was 3 years ago." She laughed, wiping the frown off her face and replacing it with a smile. "It wasn't your fault. You don't need to worry about this field trip. It won't happen ever again. I promise you."

"Uh-" I found my mouth not able to move. I was going to argue, but I couldn't. It was as if my throat was clogged up or something... as if my tongue was tied into a knot, just like what Kenny said. Man, I thought I wouldn't of remember that, but I did. Her smile. That's what kept me from talking. My heartbeat started to beat uncontrollably, sending thick waves throughout my body, making me nervous as heck.

"The shortcut is this way." Serena turned to the right towards this giant wall full covered in leaves, making the wall look of the color of emeralds and fawn.

"Over here." Serena turned to the left and then moved some leaves to the side and walked into the wall.

"Huh?" I walked over to where she disappeared and followed Serena's actions. Once I reached to where she disappeared I saw an opening, just small enough for me to get through. I removed the leaves and saw that there was a whole backyard covered in leaves, rocks, and pine trees, the whole place was humongous.

"Come on." Serena waved and walked into the backyard.

I followed her, the trees seemed to spread out, until I realized that it was a forest.

"Wait, so do you go through this place to get to school everyday?" I asked, walking around branches sticking out of the pine trees.

"Well, not really. I only go through it if I need to." She said, walking around a rock in the middle of the forest.

"How do you know where to go?" I asked, looking up at the tall pine trees.

"First off, that rock that we just passed, is the first marking of the path and then there's a small river and then a tree until we finally reach the other side."

"I think there's a lot of trees around here." I sweat dropped.

"No, it's a different tree." Serena looked back at me with the same smile that took the air strait out of my lungs. "It's not a pine tree. It's an oak tree I think." Serena scratched the side of her head.

"Oh, okay then." I straitened my posture.

I wanted to talk to her, to talk to her about what I liked about her. I wanted to ask her questions, questions about whether she liked anyone now. I know, I know, I already asked her, but I who knows? She could of fallen for someone that I don't know about. Even Calem.

I know I haven't seen Calem in a while, but I could of swore I see him giving me this dirty look time from time from where he sat at with the rest of the group that Serena hanged out with. It doesn't seem like Serena's has noticed this though.

Maybe I should tell my friends about my crush on Serena? No. That's the worst idea my mind has come up with so far.

My mind continued to ask me all these questions that I've already asked myself a million times over the past few months.

I just can't get her out of my head. No matter what I do. I keep wanting to tell her how I feel, but I don't know how. Part of me doesn't want to be rejected. It's easier said then done to tell your friend that you have feelings for them. I mean, it could ruin our friendship.