Chapter6: Unexpected

CHAPTER 6

“Saaaaaaaaaam! Sam wait! Fuck, Sam slow down! Heeey!”

Just keep on walking. Don’t look back.

That’s right. Right, left, right, left.

I keep on encouraging myself so I could not face him.

But of course since I’m the luckiest person, I slipped.

I closed my eyes waiting for the impact …. Here we go, another bump in the head.

But I didn’t. Someone caught me. When I opened my eyes, I found myself mesmerized on the hazelnut orbs that’s staring at me.

Oh, it’s Daniel. I should be avoiding him after that stunt he pulled on me yesterday.

“Are you avoiding me Sammy poo?” he cooed.

“No I’m not, Danny boo,” I pinched his cheek which is now turning into a light shade of pink. Oooh, is the badboy blushing?

“I told you not to call me that!” he hissed.

“I told you not to call me that also,” I put my hands on my waist, raising my right eyebrow.

We’re having a stare-off when someone cleared their throat beside us. Startled by the sudden noise, we both broke the connection and looked at the intruder.

“Hate to burst the bubble here,” Katie motioned to us, “but the bell already rang. We need to go Sam, unless you want to continue making out with Daniel.”

“I am not making out with this ….” I pointed at Daniel.

“Ouch kitten, you’re hurting me,” he said placing his hand on his chest making it look dramatic but in reality it’s just funny.

“Shut up, Danny booooooooo!” I sang as I skipped towards the classroom.

While Mr. Peeles was discussing about Geometry, which no one is clearly interested besides me, I noticed that Daniel is still not here. I shrugged the sudden thought because I know he’s just skipping class again and only God knows what he’s doing. Maybe he’s smoking weed, cigarette, getting drunk, having sex with a bimbo …. I don’t know, and I don’t care.

If you don’t care why are you thinking about him? My subconscious smirked.

The idea just popped in my mind! And he’s rubbing on you now with that stupid smirk!

Rubbing? She wiggled her eyebrows at me.

Eeek. Ugh, even his dirty thoughts are rubbing on you.

But you know yourself you can’t get his smoking body out of your head. Those 6-pack abs, that v-line that leads to his pe—

“Ms. Dixon, care to share us your thoughts?” Mr.Peeles interrupted my thoughts. Fortunately and unfortunately.

Everyone’s heads turned to my direction. Some are snickering, some are giggling, some don’t care. To say the least, I look like a total tomato inside an oven.

“I-I’m-I wa-I was-uh …” I stuttered, completely feeling like a fool.

Thankfully, someone banged the door causing everyone to look at it. Some geek came in panting like a dog, holding his chest.

When he regained oxygen, “Mr.Peeles, your student, Summers, is having a fight with Max.”

Mr. Peeles ushered to the commotion, so as we.

When we came, we saw Daniel straddling Max the jock on the floor, feeding him with punch after punch.

“DON’T. EVER. TALK. ABOUT. HER. LIKE. THAT.AGAIN.” Daniel said with each punch.

He looks very pissed, like 10000000000% pissed. He face was red, his eyes are no longer attractive, they look like he’s about to murder someone. He was shaking terribly.

I think Max is dead already.

That’s when Mr. Peeles decided to grow some balls and pull Daniel from the dead body, I mean Max. Even he is scared of Daniel now. Everybody was silent, the only things that I could hear are Daniel’s heavy breathing and Max’s whimper. When he stood up, students made a beeline for him but I on the other hand, was still frozen in place.

“Clear the hall!” Mr. Peeles shouted.

When the final bell rang, I sprinted out of the room. While I was walking with Katie blabbering non-stop about Daniel, I saw him faraway, sitting under a tree with his hoodie covering his head that’s facing down.

“Hey, I need to go Katie. I’ll call you later,” I told her while still staring at Daniel.

“Yeah, okay,” she dismissed me with her hand.

Without realizing it, I’m already in front of Daniel.

“CAN EVERYBODY JUST LEAVE THE FUCK OUT OF ME ALONE!” he screamed at me, still looking down. I flinched on his tone but I decided to just play along.

“Hey,” I said with a soft tone patting his head. He instantly looked at me. His eyes changed, there were no longer hate in them. It’s just blank.

“What are you doing here?” he asked me then looked down again.

“I actually have no idea,” I admitted, feeling the blush creep up.

He chuckled, shaking his head, “Oh Sam, what am I gonna do with you?”

Still looking down, he patted the spot next to him. I sat next to him feeling comfortable till he said the next line.

“Who told you to sit next to me? I was just testing if the grass is soft,” he told me with a serious face. Okay, I’m scared again. I thought he wa—

Then he burst out laughing. I glared at him feeling embarrassed all of a sudden. Then I stood up but he just pulled me back still laughing.

“I-I- I’m sorry okay, I’m just messing with you,” he said after he calmed down.

“Hey, I’ve never seen you that mad. What did Max say?” I asked him. His features instantly changed.

“I don’t wanna talk about it.”

“Come on, please Daniel,” I tried to use the puppy doll eyes at him but I think I only looked like a gorilla.

“I said I don’t want to talk about it!” he snapped.

Okay, I think that was my cue to leave. I stood up again but he pulled me again.

“Hey, I’m sorry. It’s just …. It’s hard to,” he pleaded. He looks like he’s about to cry. If we’re not in this situation I would’ve laugh but he looks …. broken.

“Oh sorry, it’s okay if you don’t wan—”

“He said that,” he interrupted me, “That jackass said my sister will no,” his voice cracked, “will not live longer.”

I was so speechless. What’s with his sister?

“Can I uhm .. Ask what’s with her?” I whispered.

Suddenly, he rested his head on my shoulder. I know this will sound cliché but I felt all tingly.

He took a long breath and closed his eyes.

“She has cancer,”

EDITED.