I smiled and walked to him. I stepped in.

"You're still in your scrubs."

"I wasn't expecting to drive this far. I went to your mom's house and she said you'd gone home, so she gave me her key."

He nodded and led me to the kitchen. "Want a piece of pie?"

"Sure."

He put a couple pieces of pumpkin pie on two little plates. He got forks out and passed me my piece. He took a bite of his and sat with me on a barstool at the kitchen island.

"What's up?" he smiled.

"When you went into cardiac arrest the other day, your heart stopped. My heart stopped, too, and I was yelling at you. I was afraid you'd leave me and I didn't want that to happen, because I-I need you to live."

He was quiet.

"Jake, I love you. It's not been long and that's crazy, but I love you and I don't think I'll ever be able to stop loving you."

"Britt-"

"And if you get deployed, I'll still love you, because your heart stopped and that was the scariest moment of my entire life."

"Really?"

"Yeah, because I can't live without the person I love. You didn't know that I loved you. You couldn't die without knowing that I love you."

He smiled, "You love me?"

"I love you," I smiled.

He stood and closed the space between us. "Bridget, I love you."

I smiled as his lips found mine.

He deepened the kiss, tilting my head to deepen it even more. His hands gripped the hem of my shirt. He lifted it off me and threw it to the floor.

His lips found my neck, nipping and sucking. He made a trail of kisses down to my belly button. He stood and lifted me onto the island.

The cool, hard counter tops fogged against my now sweating back.

Jake crawled over me and captured my lips again.

I tangled my hands in his hair, tugging as he kissed the corners of my mouth. I pulled him into another kiss as he removed my pants. After another minute or so, I pulled back and breathed, "Jake?"

"Yes, Britt?"

"Drop. Your. Pants."

He smirked, "Yes, ma'am."

He removed his pants and put his hands by either side of my head. "You ready, baby?"

"Yes," I breathed, pulling him back into a kiss.

As he entered me, I moaned into his mouth, jumping a little off the countertop.

For a minute, he was still, then he began thrusting. He took his time, going slow, lovingly kissing me as he did so.

It didn't take long for me to reach my limit. I had been so stressed, so worried, I let it all go.

My release triggered his. He gripped me to him, kissing me as he did so. When he pulled back, he breathed, "Damn it."

"What?" I panted.

"I forgot a condom."

"It's okay. I'm on the pill," I spoke, running my hands through his hair.

"Why would you be on the pill if you haven't had a boyfriend in four years?"

"You really want to know?"