Complication

Disclaimer: This is a work of fan fiction based on multiple existing anime/manga series. The characters and settings used in this story belong to their respective owners and creators, and no copyright infringement is intended. This story is purely for entertainment purposes and is not intended to infringe upon any existing intellectual property. I do not own any of the original works that inspired this fanfiction, and I fully support the original creators and their works.

-Story Start-

"Huh?" Nanahoshi let out a squeak of surprise, at the result of Satoru's attempt of fueling her magic circle.

The large paper holding the magic circle began to wither away into the air in the form of black particles.

Nanahoshi stepped back only to pause from Satoru's words, his tone curious and gaze concentrated.

He commented, "That's not the usual reaction, is it?"

His tone conveyed this was a confirmation, not a question.

Tilting her head, Nanahoshi agreed, "Yes. When a Magic Circle fails, it's usually characterized by a char across the paper or the entirety of it catching on fire."

She gestured at the withered away paper - Or the place it formerly was at, "Not disintegrating into nothing." She conveyed.

Satoru nodded, pointing at her, "It didn't disintegrate into nothing, it failed and released the residual Cursed Energy I fuelled it with."

Sensing the forming question, Satoru continued, "It's something I'm familiar with. It's the result you get when you try and use a half-assed Talisman."

His eyes narrowed as he mumbled thoughtfully, "But... To think that the Cursed Energy reacted to the Magic Circle like a Talisman..." Satoru wondered.

Seeing Satoru's immersed figure, Nanahoshi sighed, "And this... Doesn't happen when you try and charge objects in this world with Cursed Energy?"

Nanahoshi's inquiry hung in the air for a moment, and a moment later got answered.

Satoru turned and gave her a look, "Obviously."

He added, "More importantly, was this Magic Circle supposed to work in the first place if fuelled with Mana?"

'The Cursed Energy spread through the ink until it covered each nook and cranny of the Magic Circle. Then, it was recognized as a Talisman. And then... It all erupted.' Satoru recalled.

Contemplating, he suggested, 'As if... Each instruction written in that Magic Circle was incorrect. Or, in this case, Talisman. I've got to know if this was because the Magic Circle was faulty in of itself, or because Magic Circle instructions, or whatever they are, do not align with Cursed Energy's capabilities.'

Nanahoshi suddenly went silent at his question.

Seeing her slightly embarrassed face, Satoru deadpanned, his tone pitying, "Can you really do nothing right?"

"Ah... No wonder you haven't managed to get back home yet." He said with a shake of his head, his tone carrying a hint of haughty snark.

Nanahoshi's face was red as she silently moved to find a piece of paper amid the piles of their disorganized brethren.

Whether she was red in the face from anger or embarrassment, Satoru didn't care.

He patiently waited for a moment, until she stepped forward, placing a piece of paper under him.

Her voice came out apathetically, with a leakage of exhaustion, "Here. This is a Summoning Circle for a Lamplight Spirit."

Scrutinizing it for a second, and raising his eyebrow, Satoru was about to question, only for Nanahoshi to swiftly add, "This one is guaranteed to work. The Authority on Summoning Magic gave me the formula of it, and he invented it himself."