Chapter 79

Chapter 79:

Pogue

Lillian walked into the living room, leaving us in the foyer. I glanced at everyone who was just as cautious as I was. We had a plan. We were going to get as much information from her as we could as to what she was planning and see if she knew how to get Blair back, without her knowing that is what we were trying to do.

"What do you want?" Lillian asked, irritated. Only the four of us entered the living room. We had told our parents to stay behind us, so they could stop her from getting to Uncle Will. Mom insisted that she would also try to talk to Lillian, and there was no fighting mom so she came with us too, but stayed farther behind us. Dad didn't want mom to come in alone so he was there with her, stewing away.

"You seem a little tense, Lillian," Caleb said to her, taking the lead on this.

Lillian gave a sarcastic smile as she placed her hands on this her hips. "How's daddy dearest, Caleb? Still breathing?"

"He's just fine." Caleb was holding back his anger. "Seeing as he is alive, I'm assuming Chase wasn't able to get you the book."

She gritted her teeth. "Chase is useless," she replied. Whatever was bubbling in her, she pushed down and her crazy smile returned. "You knew Chase wasn't going to be able to get the book," she said, though she was mostly digging for answers herself.

"Just like with you, the book protects itself from evil. It determined Chase to be evil, so he wasn't allowed to touch it," Caleb revealed. That was information that wasn't important to give.

"The Damnation never had an allegiance to one side or another," she muttered to herself. Whatever knowledge of the book and how the Covenant operated, it was old history, maybe from her time or the others.

"Things change," Caleb simply answered.

She turned, looking at the six of us in the room. "This is very cute," she said, pointing at us, then seemed to notice dad standing behind me. "And what is Father of the Year doing here?" she almost growled, her face becoming stone as she shot daggers at him.

Dad shifted, coming closer to the couch. "I'm not convinced that this isn't just Blair pretending to be Lillian," he poked, sending the same glaring look back to Lillian.

Lillian tilted her to the side, eyes staying on my dad. "There are a lot of things about Blair you don't know. How could you? You left her all by herself. But one thing you should know is she has a lot of restraint. I don't share the same trait," she warned.

She shifted her eyes and in one swift movement, dad was flung from where he was standing and slammed into the wall. He groaned out in pain as we all gasped, waiting for him to fall to the floor but he didn't. "That's for Blair," Lillian snarled. I looked at her as she shifted her eyes again and dad flew to the other side of the living room, ramming into the wall. "That is for offering Blair money to leave town." Another shift of the eyes and he went flying against the other wall again. "And that's for being a colossal piece of shit."

"Lillian," I warned, stepping forward, my dad moaning in pain as he was pushed further into the wall. She raised her hand towards dad, warning me to not come forward.

Mom somehow had made it to Lillian's side, grabbing onto her wrist of her raised arm and with tears welling in her eyes, she said, "Please, don't."

Lillian's gaze softened as she snapped her head towards mom, looking at her like she was surprised. Lillian cleared her throat and pulled her arm away from mom. She glanced at dad and rolled her eyes, dropping him to the ground. I rushed over to dad, helping him up.