Chapter 58

Chapter 58:

I stomped my way through the dorms, making my way to the student parking lot. I waited under the awning, avoiding the rain. I could feel peoples eyes on me as they made their way to their cars. I focused on the rain droplet ripples in the puddles that were all over the concrete ground.

"Ready?" I heard above me. I looked up and Caleb was standing next to me, umbrella already unfolded.

"What are we doing?" I asked, hesitant if I should even be speaking with him. Out of everyone, he was the closest to Pogue. I didn't want to suddenly be in an intervention.

"We need to do some research on our nightly visitors. Thought you'd be able to help get more information." I contemplated where or not I should go but it would be a good distraction from everything. I nodded and we quickly made our way to his car. He was nice enough to open the door for me and let me get into my seat before going around to his side and getting in the driver's seat. He looked at his phone, read a text message and then turned on his car.

"Everything okay?" he asked, like he was gauging me.

"Sarah text you?" I asked back.

"Yeah just said that you guys got into a fight?" he revealed.

"It wasn't a fight. It was more like an un-understanding," I corrected.

"What is an un-understanding?" he asked, confused as he started to back out of the parking lot.

"When people don't understand what they are asking to understand," I muttered.

"Alright. That is a new one," he chuckled. "You want to talk about what happened with Sarah and Kate?"

"Nope."

The drive was in silence which I appreciated. I knew we would talk about the darkling issue when we reached the secret library. The drive went by faster than I thought, and Caleb parked the car. We rushed inside quickly and Caleb used his powers to get the fire going and the lights on.

"What are we looking for?" I asked, placing my bag on one of the tables.

"Anything that can help us figure out who is sending them," he said. "I already pulled as many books as I could, but I haven't had a chance to go through them all." He motioned towards the other table that had the stacks of books that he was referring to.

"I'll take the one on the left," I said. I took the first book off the stack. It was as tall as me. I knew this was going to take us a while. I flipped through the pages trying to find anything that mentioned darkling or anything about sending something to another but there was nothing in the first book.

"Are we the only ones that have been seeing the darklings?" I asked, placing the finished book in its own pile and grabbing another.

"Yes. That is another thing that doesn't make any sense. Why aren't the others seeing them as well?" Caleb answered. He too didn't find anything in the first book.

"Another question to add to the list," I said, plopping down in my seat. The next couple of hours were spent in silence, trying to find out anything we could but there was nothing that we could find. Caleb started to pull books from the shelves hoping one of them would provide some kind of answer.

Suddenly, there was a loud slam as Caleb threw the book he was reading on a new table, starting a new pile of read books. "None of these are any help," he gritted his teeth in frustration.

My own eyes started to burn and words didn't even look like words to me anymore. I shut my book, exhausted from the amount of spells, incantations and Covenant stories I had read through.