Chapter 52

Chapter 52:

We were back on the road to the school shortly after. Caleb decided that he didn't want to see his father again and said he would take me back to the dorms. The farther we got from that house, the more Caleb seemed to relax and loosen up.

"Hey Blair?" Caleb said, turning down the music for us to better hear each other. "What do you think about Chase?"

"Chase?" I asked, confused. "I think he's cool. Why?"

"You don't get a strange sense from him at all? Nothing with your powers"

I thought about it for a moment. Every time I had been around Chase he was very kind and sweet. I had never felt on guard around him even when we had our little moment on the roof. "No? He seems to genuinely be a good guy. He is always there for me and is thoughtful." I looked over at Caleb who was thinking about what I was saying, carefully. "Why do you ask? I thought you guys were cool?"

"Just do me a favor and be careful around him. I don't want you to get hurt," he warned.

"I can do that," I assured him. I thought for a moment if I should press him to figure out why he was asking me about Chase randomly, but I didn't want to stress him out more than he already was today.

We made it back to the dorms and I got ready for work. Sarah was in the room waiting for Caleb when we arrived. She shot me a knowing look as I grabbed my things to change in our bathroom. As I made my way out the room, I got a glimpse of Sarah comforting Caleb which made me feel better knowing he wasn't going to be alone. She was probably the only person who could truly be there for him and help him genuinely feel better.

Nicky's was busier than ever. Everyone was celebrating the end of midterms and that we had an entire week off school. I found it surprisingly nice to have a busy night. It kept my mind focused on something mundane and away from all the crazy that is my life. I spotted Tyler and Reid at the bar in their usual corner playing pool. They were playing their teammates and it actually looked like they were not getting into any trouble. Which was great since they didn't need to get into another fight, human or magical.

The night started to dwindle down and patrons were filing out of the bar to their cars in the parking lot. I found myself in a groove when cleaning and didn't realize that two hours had passed and there was nothing else to clean.

"Blair, what are you still doing here?" Nicky asked, coming out of his office. "I told you that you only needed to clean the floor and I would take care of the behind the bar."

"Oh I don't mind, Nicky," I said, a little embarrassed. "If anything, it makes up for me missing so much after hiring me," I added.

Nicky let out a grunt while approaching me. "You were in an accident. It can't be helped," he said. "Now get out of here. It's pouring out there and I don't want you getting stuck out there." Taking the damp rag and cleaner out my hand, Nicky nudged me towards the bar. I let out a sigh and grabbed my things behind the register, giving in to Nicky's instructions.

I hadn't noticed the weather took a turn and that it was pouring outside. Though, what else could I expect from Ipswich. Rain was always expected, and it was second nature to be prepared for it. I personally hadn't obtained that level of living here like a local. And because of that, I stood outside looking at the water filled parking lot with pure annoyance. It was coming down hard and fast. It wouldn't be responsible for me to attempt to drive back on my bike or use my powers. What was the point of having them if all they did was hurt me in the process of using them?