Chapter 53

Chapter 53:

I let Tyler in and closed the door. He took a seat on my bed and patted next to him for me to sit. I let out a sigh and took a seat on the bed.

"Are you okay?" he asked first.

I didn't answer. What was I supposed to say? I hadn't really given much thought to the papers since receiving them. I didn't want to think about them. After not answering for a moment, I just shrugged my shoulders, not really knowing what to say.

"I think I understand what the documents are for, but are they really what I think they are?" Tyler asked, trying his best to sound calm.

"Emancipation papers? Yes, yes they are," I answered, looking down at my feet.

"Why do you need to fill them out?" he asked.

"Cause either they never signed the papers to waive their rights or the papers never made it into my file or somehow it went missing after the years, so now I have to get them to sign the papers so they can waive their rights," I explained. I couldn't wrap my head around how any of the scenarios could have possibly happened.

"What are you going to do?" Tyler asked, wearily.

"I don't even know. They have to sign the papers since it has been reported that I know who my biological parents are," I groaned placing my face in my hands.

Tyler rubbed the middle of my back trying to be supportive. I let out of deep sigh and turned to look at him while still leaning down on my knees. I knew what I had to do but I didn't want to admit it. I didn't want to have to do it and Tyler knew I didn't.

"I can go with you if you want. So you're not alone," he softly spoke. I started to shake my head feeling guilty. This was his family and I didn't want to put him in the middle of it.

"It's ok but-," I started.

"Blair, you don't have to do everything by yourself. Let me be there for you and help you get this done," he insisted. I could tell he was being genuine and he wanted to help.

"But I don't want to put you in the middle. They are your family and I'm just-,"

"You're my family too. Whether you like it or not," Tyler firmly stated.

And that was that.

A few days later, we stood in front of their house. It looked more daunting this time around. I didn't think I would ever return back to this house. Not after what happened last time. Not after...

I didn't want to have to do this. I was so close to being finished with this whole process. I had done everything right, well mostly right. I wasn't really keeping up with school like I was supposed to but I was still in the passable range, barely. Either way, I was so close and now, now is when they decided to double check my files and see that one of the most important documents was missing. Not at the beginning but now? I would think magic was behind it or something but knowing Pogue's parents, they would have used magic to make sure those papers never got lost. So, my ultimate conclusion is that I don't have the best luck. I mean I do have ghosts in my head.

Tyler stood by my side patiently as I stared at the doors. My nerves were getting to me. What was I supposed to say? What were they going to say? When Tyler was helping me come up with a game plan, I came up with the idea of just putting a post it note on the papers that said "please sign" and he could pick it up later, but he said that wasn't a good idea. I thought it was great but he won in the end and here we are.