Chapter 31

Chapter 31:

For someone whose enrollment in a private academy was dependent on doing well in school, I sure was doing a lousy job at paying attention in class.

"You're going to fail your midterms if you continue to space out," Chase joked as we packed up our belongings. School was done for the day and I had not so exciting plans that I was trying my best to delay. "Are you okay? You've been a little off lately."

"I've just been dealing with a lot, health wise," I lied, somewhat.

Technically, Lillian does give me terrible headaches and my powers hurt when I use them, so that's not so far fetched...

Exactly.

"Are you okay?" he asked again, now concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Nothing to worry about. I think it's just the stress with keeping up with the school, the emancipation, finding a job, maintaining a social life. You know, all the things normal teenagers have to worry about," I answered, light heartedly.

"I see. No luck on the job front. Don't worry you'll find one," he encouraged, flashing his adorable smile, showing off his chubby cheeks.

"Thanks. I actually am going to meet some people who might give me a job," I let slip as I draped my backpack over my shoulder.

"And yet you don't seem too eager to get there," he said, observing my body language and behavior.

"You're just having a fun time calling me out today aren't you," I laughed. He shrugged, laughing with me as we headed out of the class.

"Come on, tell me what the job is!" he insisted like a little kid.

"It's a personal assistant job," I answered.

"Who will you be assisting?" he asked, nosily now.

I hesitated a moment but decided there was no point in lying to him. "My biological parents," I revealed.

He looked at me stunned for a moment. Trust me, I was just as surprised as him. Pogue insisted that I should sit down with them and work as their personal assistant, that way I could show the state that I had a job and I could stay at Spencer Academy. I'm pretty sure his parents, like me, were doing it for him. He really wants us to be a family, but I don't they will ever be my family.

"That'll be...," Chase started to say but couldn't find the right word.

"Interesting?" I suggested. He chuckled at my humor. He continued through the halls until it was time to part ways. Chase headed to swim practice while I went in the opposite direction to where my bike was.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Wayne and Beatrice Perry sat directly in front of me at the dining room table. It was awkward. I could hear the ticking of the grandfather clock that was in the living room. It was deafening.

"So, how has school been going?" Mrs. Perry asked, pouring all of us a cup of tea. "It's about time for midterms, isn't it?"

"Yes, they are in a couple of weeks," I answered, politely.

"Pogue told us that you need a job," Mr. Perry huffed, getting straight to the point.

So this is how it's going to go.