Chapter 55

Chapter 55:

Surprisingly, this morning, I had woke up early enough to stop by the cafeteria and get some breakfast. I stopped by Chase's room to see if he wanted to join but when I knocked on his door, there was no answer. I hadn't heard from Chase since he took me to the rooftop. I wondered if he was avoiding me because I stopped the kiss. I would look for him in our classes that we shared but he didn't show up to any of them. Where did he disappear to?

I sat in a booth, eating the mini pancakes that were on the menu for today and watching the rain sprinkle over the campus. The cafeteria was filled, everyone chattering at their tables trying to be heard over one another. I put my headphones in, put my music on shuffle and tuned out the world for the next twenty minutes.

What hurts the most
Was being so close
And having so much to say
And watching you walk away
And never knowing
What could've been
And not seeing that love in you
Is what I was trying to do

It's hard to deal with the pain of losing you everywhere I go
But I'm doing it-

Suddenly, I felt a violent tug on my ears as my headphones ripped from me. There was an instant flare of rage that coursed through me and I balled my hand in a fist as I snapped my head away from the window.

"What the hell?!" I snapped as I looked at Pogue who was glaring at me. I looked past him for a moment and saw the others with him who looked just as surprised. Reid came forward and tugged on his shoulder pulling him away from my face.

"Dude calm down," he muttered to Pogue.

"Is it true?" Pogue spat.

"Well good morning to you too," I retorted. "What is your problem?" I asked, trying my best to push down my anger as I wrapped my headphones around my MP3 player.

"I spoke with mom and dad Blair," Pogue seethed. "They told me about the papers."

"Okay...?" I said, not really sure what the problem was.

"Okay? That's all you have to say for yourself?" he growled. I was confused as to why he was snapping at me over this.

"Pogue, come on dude. Don't do this here," Tyler stepped forward and calmly spoke.

"Shut up, Baby Boy," Pogue said shrugging him off. The rage poured off Pogue as he turned back to me, waiting for an answer.

"Hey, don't take your anger out on him," I said to Pogue. He didn't seem to care that he was yelling at everyone. "Why are you so upset?"

"How could you ask them to sign those papers?" he asked, trying his best to keep his voice level.

"Because I needed those papers in my file for my emancipation," I explained. "They had somehow gone missing from my file and without them, I needed them to sign the waiver again. It's not a big deal, they had done it before."

That answer seemed to make him angrier. "So what, you don't want a family?"

"What? What does that have anything to do with the papers?" I asked confused.

"Clearly you don't care about us being a family. You have parents and you have me a brother but you rather not have any of it. Do you know how upset mom is? She hasn't stopped crying over it. How could you hurt her like that?" he spat. I looked at him in disbelief. I glanced at the others hoping they would chime in to help explain all of this but they were looking around, noticing the deafening silence in the cafeteria.

All eyes were on us like we were a show put on while people ate. They could hear everything. All of my personal business and my life and how it was different than most of their lives.