Chapter 60 Roi

<Halls Of the Trial House>

Wobbling was a luxury Cain could never afford. No matter how much his duties taxed his body he remained stiff and stubborn. The courtroom halls were no different than those of posh palaces, lined with irresponsible splendor that dazzled the eye. His justice burned savagely as he inched closer and closer to the venue. No ordinary person could stand next to him in this state. His broad shoulders and forceful stride were that of a man seemingly inhuman, even devilish.

"Your Holiness, I believe we can come to an understanding. You need not hang or rend my subjects or my people. A proposition, a compromise, or an accord, I'm sure we can agree on something."

The man blocked the double door, a door more ordinary than the hall It was made of high-grade oak but frugal in design and the man of short stature who stood before him was no other than the King of France. He didn't have any striking features, he wasn't handsome nor was he built. The King of France did however have the presence a mere figurehead shouldn't have. He dressed frugally. Common clothes that couldn't be worn by a king fitted seamlessly. A brown cap in place of his crown and a set of craftsman knickers fit too well with his spotless white shirt.

"Louis the Second, you're neglecting your duties."

Cain was a behemoth compared to the sheltered king. He was a giant next to an infant, despite this Louis stood firmly, royally, and without fear. He stared back into those storm-blue eyes, filled with terror and riptides that could rend the world in two.

"I have a duty towards my people. This is also my court, the King's court. Law and Order are my responsibility. It is not a place where we commit murder, under the guise of justice. You stood on that board once, you witnessed the sorry state of my court then."

"It's different now, Nikolas was too far gone."

"Forgive me for being discourteous but I don't see a different Overseer standing before me. He tried your niece, the Holy Maiden. You? You're trying your in-laws, innocent children that had bearing on their parent's decisions. On my decisions."

Cain eyed the short king like a wolf. He sniffed for weakness and growled for the chance to intimidate King Louis the Second. He was tempted, so very tempted to drop the evidence he carried. He was so tempted to execute the vermin before him. The Judgement of Shamash was holstered to his belt. Just one shot, the King wasn't even a knight.

"Crimes can't go unpunished."

"I agree but if anyone will do then why don't I take over the responsibility of my subordinates? I'll stand in their place. I'll confess, I even have all the logs of my orders. My crimes, I'm willing to surrender them to you."

"You are not the sole sinner."

"But all their sins stemmed from me."

They fell silent, so silent that they could hear the sounds through the muffled halls. If they listened carefully they could distinguish the buffering steps in the public halls. Commoners and nobles alike conversed and shared what they could. It was a low rumble with the squeaky shuffling of steps on hard marble. Cain could almost feel the heat, the friction between the floor and the people. They packed close and sweaty all over the stench must've been awful but they were keen. They were waiting for justice.

"They also didn't kill innocents, just criminals disguised as common folk."

"Then what of the servants? The erased noble line? All those lives for a mere chance at succession. Your coronation ceremony? You sit upon a throne of blood, innocent blood and you've sentenced your people to be experimented on, to be tested, and made into weapons for the corrupted church."