Chapter 9 Base

"So you have no information?"

"No concrete information." The shadow replied. She took a sip of tea, energizing, and light. The day would never start without an ample amount of tea. Contrary to what Sasha expected the woman looked quite young for her age. If she were to describe the tracker reporting to her Sasha would call her average and aptly so. Horse-brown hair and dim blue eyes were the tracker's most distinguishable features. Even those features were quite common in the country of Britain. The shadow's eight, weight, and demeanor all melded with the center line of the population. On a scale of one to ten, measuring all attributes, the tracker would sit squarely on five.

"Report your non-concrete findings."

"We've just started investigating yesterday." The other tracker scoffed. A scowl scruffled his features. Unlike his partner, he did not mesh well with a crowd. He had a perpetual grimace on his face that drew too many eyes. He was a little taller than average, standing around 173 cm, and had a demeanor that pushed people away. It was for these reasons he worked under the cover of darkness. His pitched black eyes and black hair worked marvels in such scenarios. One often couldn't tell that he was staring at them.

"Don't overstep your bounds Agon."

"Gertrude we're of equal status in the field," Agon growled.

"Not with your eastern blood. The common folk would ogle at you as a display. A troupe freak or a rare animal."

"So that's what's wrong with his face."

"Thank you, Sasha, for proving my point."

"Of course, you need a child's affirmation."

"She's gone through the necessary training. She's also stronger than you and I."

"Bah! I'll never forgive this transgression!"

"You'll endure it all your life. Especially after this assignment."

Sasha furrowed her brow. Frederick had given her two trackers that couldn't get along. What's more, it seems that their professionalism was lost in age. Seemed their profession bred bitter folk. Well that didn't matter much, their capabilities were guaranteed. Besides it was her job as the leader to unite them together.

"Enough, Gertrude I didn't mean to prove your point. Agon, I meant no disrespect regarding your heritage. I've just never seen a person from the east."

"Hmm?" Sakura who was idling by, sipping self-brewed tea raised an eyebrow.

"I've never seen a person from the east who..."

"Say it. What are your words, little girl."

"Who wasn't good-looking."

Sakura nodded, satisfied with Sasha's answer. It was the honest answer. It was the right answer. Of course, in Sakura's recollection, many people from Sakura's village fell under the classification of good-looking. Even her uncle Sato was a charming man if he kept his mouth shut and personality in check. Agon rolled an unlucky dice.

"Ah, it's fine! We can't escape our duties. Even if the era changes."

"You're too calm."

"I don't want to hear from you Gertrude."

"But you get to call me by my name. Shouldn't you be happy? Every time you greet me, you don't have to bow."

Agon scoffed and shut his mouth. He wasn't going to bicker any longer. Sasha observed this behavior. It seemed that Agon had more composure than the interaction had suggested. He wasn't hot-headed, Gertrude was just someone who pushed his buttons well.