Chapter 58 Site

<Paris Erasure Site>

Erasure, what was it exactly? Kallen had to see it for herself. From what she could gather from her uncle and her team, erasure was a fate worse than death. In her mind, no justice could justify overly cruel condemnations. It seemed to her that she was gradually being dipped in a chilling bog, crafted by time. How long has it been since Schicksal followed the Holy Book? How could she exercise her power to part the mire and bring about her dream? Once she fixed the church, once she saved the people, then she would... She would cleanse Honkai from the world and be the hero her father was.

"Kallen,"

That voice always soothed her frenzied thoughts. Through them, she remembered happy times spent eating riceballs and mochi under blooming cherry blossoms. She remembered Yae village, where the villagers were distant but reformed. Children frolicked playfully while the adults hustled from store to store, sharing stories and buying goods. Sakura was by her side, they were able to protect them. Surely, they could do the same for the entirety of Europe.

"Yes?"

Kallen inched closer to take in Sakura's sweet scent. It was enthralling and pungent, masking all other scents around her. They were in a wasteful alleyway, littered with rotting wood and spoiling food but she couldn't smell any of it.

"What's bothering you?"

Kallen didn't respond, instead, she hugged Sakura from behind and rested her head on a shoulder. It was a blissful moment she sought, an ignorant moment. They stalled behind the group ahead, their steps became silent.

"Kallen,"

Sakura's voice was gentle but worried, they were investigating truths and she sensed the presence of spirits. Lingering attachments to the world lay ahead of them. Her sword rattled, it had a use for once.

"I don't know what bothers me," Kallen answered truthfully. She wanted to scratch her head but she also didn't want to let go of peace. "I know the heretics are wrong and Shakespeare confirmed Otto's crimes. I know I'm following my father's steps. I'm keeping the Kaslana faith and yet somethings wrong."

"Maybe it's because you haven't seen the full extent of evil."

"Maybe," Kallen agreed, giving a lit peck on Sakura's cheek. She was acting spoiled but Sakura couldn't help but blush. "If I burn my toast. I'd say I'm feeling doubt?"

"Doubt?"

"No, it can't be doubted I know I'm right," Kallen muttered. She glanced at the group ahead and released her hold on Sakura. "Let's go on ahead."

They were in Marias District, a supposed nobleman's luxury district but it was dingy and spattered with soot. The mansions of the neighborhood were in pristine condition but this particular section, located between a baker and a general store was alien to the district. It was worse than any slum for good reason.

"Miss Schariac my estate is so close by. I'd often walk past this strip assuming nothing. It was quite a surprise when I discovered its history."

"It's a cursed street, claiming even Valkyries. I'd be surprised if Steelers would venture into such risk."

"I've left my family behind."

"Then why bring them up?"

"You don't have to be so hostile, after the Burrus Family is restored, we can be partners. I can even marry one of your brothers. If they're half as handsome as your father then I'd be a lucky woman."

"An admirer of beauty?"

"You could say I'm easily smitten. I'd follow them blindly even if it cost me something I can't afford."