Chapter 7 Paths

"My husband has gone missing."

"Don't worry about him. I'm sure that lout is out sinking in ale. Reckon he'll come back once his stupor is broken. Sister, why don't we focus on the house? Falls just around the corner and the strange weather hasn't subsided."

"But are we to do? Andrew has all the money."

"Spare change? Bah, we'll fix the roof ourselves. We can't let the children starve?"

"Ah, indeed but Andrew wouldn't leave them. If I didn't stop he would take Mary and Sue to drink with him too. He normally tells me when he drinks. Months and months between. After I had scraggled his head he became more responsible. Now four half-moons sober and yet he suddenly leaves to drink without even a peep."

"Maybe you scared him off. The kids are sleeping below eh? Have you checked the safe?"

"Don't joke around and no brother I didn't check yet."

"Let's see. Talk along the way."

"In our room just under our bed."

Wood creaked as the safe was shifted out from under the bed. Crafted from iron, the safe costs a hefty price in return for security. The wife fished a key from a secret compartment in the nightstand. With a click the safe was open, spilling a small mountain of coins from its belly.

"He didn't take a copper. Perhaps he collected this week's earnings for the squall."

"Andrew don't share nothing with sailors. It reminds me. Patricia said her husband was gone as well. But-"

"With their relationship all assumed he finally ran away. Poor bloke has enough welts on his body to float like a witch."

"Yes so-"

"He'll come back and once so I'll give him a gnarly lickin. Seems though with these coppers we can fix the roof. If not we can always let the girls sleep in the school dorms. They wanted to mingle with their friends anyway. It'll be alright soon. See? The sun's rising, world not ending yet."

A fox's ears perked to the sunrise. Sakura was warm and in her hands, she held something precious. A spark of light she found at the end of a dark long tunnel. Her lashes fluttered open long and smooth. Her body was bare and the light she found was purring softly, head nested between her breasts. Sakura smiled and then kissed the snow-white top of Kallen's head. Last night was wild and she was tempted to start this morning off well too.

"You're awake," Kallen murmured, eyes still closed. She enjoyed the softness of the mountains she was nested in between. "Let's stay like this for a while. After all, I'm to go on duty soon. I'm going to miss you."

"Mmhmm."

Kallen spoke soothing words and for the moment Sakura felt as though she was in paradise. She stroked Kallen's hair gently while her eyes wandered around the room she called home. Kallen's soft breath stoked the fires in her heart but she controlled herself. Abstinence was a crucial skill. Kallen would go out to patrol the city walls again. Cuddling was the superior option.

"Your stomach got harder. I think you've been training too much."

"Huh?"

"There's hard buttons underneath the fat. You need to eat more. Sweets."

"Kallen what are you even saying you know your thighs aren't soft."

"Yours aren't either."

"Stop the baby voice. I'll get upset."

Kallen pouted and buried her face between Sakura's breasts.

"That tickles!" Sakura giggled. "Stop. Stop! You're going too far."