Chapter 8 Administration

Frederick's day couldn't get any worse or so he thought. A few of his secretaries just so happened to be sick on the same day, a few more missing case files had made their way to his desk, and his mother had written a lovely report that stated that Sasha would be ready for deployment soon. Unfortunately, she didn't state how fast soon would be since Sasha was now standing before him. In Frederick's mind, there was no doubt that Otto was her brother, in the past year they had always brought him so much trouble.

"I had your word!"

"Yes, I know. Please stop with the theatrics!"

An exasperated palm covered his face. It had barely been a month. A month! Sasha satisfied every condition written in the contract. He had to let her go now. Luckily her first assignment was in the city. While he hoped she'd be preoccupied for a while, he also needed to ensure that the case was solved as fast as possible. If the public found out about the disappearance, doubts of his leadership and by extension, his uncle's narrative would surface.

"Just why?" Just why? Why does it have to be you?!"

He thrusted his index finger angrily at the beauty standing beside Sasha. Sakura frowned but didn't respond to Frederick's quaking body. The room shook with him, he was like a small earthquake caused by the trappings of the catfish yokai below the land. Her presence was causing him duress.

"A Kaslana always keeps their word."

"Don't say that." Frederick hissed. Blood was rushing through his neck, to his temple. Veins bulged and bones cracked. His head of hair would've turned white if it wasn't already of such color.

"A leader always maintains their composure. You must be calm and collected when judging a situation. See the things others can't. Think of a plan with what's given. Remember a leader must command respect but must never lash out. Most important of all remember that a leader has nothing if nobody follows them. Which is why a leader must take care of their subordinates first."

"Stop! Don't quote your instructors, Sasha! I'm calm!"

"I think Sasha is right. You need to calm down."

Frederick bit back a retort and took several bellow breaths. He sank lower and lower into his chair with each exhale. His blood flow returned to normal and picked up a few reports to ease his mind.

"I'm calm. I'm calm."

"As expected of a shogun."

"A what?"

"In my country, a shogun is a respected and dependable leader. They lead regions of land though my village is a special case."

"Alright. Then as a respected leader, I'll have you two look over these cases."

A stack of parchment about palms width in height was forked over. Sasha received the stack with composure but her eyes sparkled excitedly. Sakura on the other hand continued to observe Frederick, she had admitly put him in a tough spot.

"I'll have the trackers meet with you. They'll both be on your future team. All the information you need will be in the case file. They've also got reports on your own. We're spread thin but one of them an older woman is quite experienced in all fields. The man about forty specializes in tailing people. When you're ready to head for your mission I'll give you another team member. He'll be a guide of some sort. I've heard plenty sing praises of him, specializing in city history and so on. He's a non-combatant but keeps tidy notes. You'll be working with him to write reports. I have nothing further to say, Sasha, you're dismissed. Sakura I need to talk with you."

When Sasha left the room Sakura took a seat without being prompted to. Frederick raised a brow but he didn't care too much about the disrespect. Hell, the two girls had already broken the professional environment when they walked in. Besides nothing was ever professional with Kallen.