Chapter 28 Latrones

<London>

When one thinks of castles, one often thinks of impenetrable stone bases and towers aimed at the heavens. A castle should be a fortress that protects the most noble of blood. That was not the case for royal castles. While the upper echelon of nobles: dukes and marquises; were allowed to build fortresses on their respective lands, the kings and queens of Europe were relegated to living palaces. The dimmer royals didn't miss their fortified coffins as the city walls erected in place were more than adequate to defend against beasts. The church would always defend them. If the church failed then the private royal armies would take up the defence. This was the case for nearly four hundred years.

'Enemies within our walls.' Elizabeth pondered. Red auburn hair and piercing amber eyes scanned the letter she received days ago. The man was able to slip past her guards and he was able to slip away from her senses. 'He could've killed me in my sleep.'

On the surface, she appeared serene. Her eyes refocused their attention to the walls that surrounded the city. Her palace had a garden and even a tribute river in the back. It had an inner courtyard, four stories, and countless rooms. What's more, there was an entire plaza reserved only for the royal family. A circular carriage space surrounded the statue of their first great king. The first great figurehead of the church.

Her curled but the letter remained unharmed. Of course, anyone would be curious about the contents of the letter. What did the city lord of Koleston, which was essentially a city-state, write to the Queen of England? Perhaps most people would be astounded to find that all he attached to the paper was the Kaslana family crest. One might find it audacious but the queen knew better. The most logical choice was that this letter, no this stamp, wasn't for the queen. It was an emergency ticket for whatever operatives were in her city. No one would dare challenge the church or the Kaslanas.

'I believe it'll wane soon.' Thought Elizabeth, she could smell the scent of dawn, droplets of morning dew condensed above powdered snow. She could smell the droplets off branch icicles surrendering to gravity. They just needed the tickles of the morning sun and they'd fall.

She looked back at the letter and adjusted her royal garb. Thick and heavy but adorned with history-rich jewels. The beauty of her dress was something she could appreciate better if they didn't weigh her down like chains. It was only logical, it had to be. London had no power, at least it was the lesser of Koleston in the landscape of Europe. The stamp wasn't sent to keep her in line.

"I'll investigate your archives." Elizabeth parroted. "That man held no respect, even for the Queen. Thorns in the city, enemies within. They wish to prune the city. Is this in preparation for the Holy Maiden's return? She asked for medical supplies but could she oversee the Kaslana will? Is this subject to the will of the church?"

Posh and proper, Elizabeth was no different than the most noble of cranes. It had been drilled into her since her youth. The lessons were crafted to chain her to the role of princess. It'd work if she not have been so clever. Her wit was perhaps her only merit. England's politics was her chess board. She clasped the bell on the desk she sat at. Her walnut, maple desk stood sturdy as ever and the lightest ring of the bell instantly called for servants to attend.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Enter!" Elizabeth commanded. Standing to face her maid.

"My Queen. How may this humble servant be of assistance?" The maid bowed low and respectfully. This was how royalty should be treated. This was what her position should entail. Civility, the church was hardly civil. The maid's voice rang clear and no breath sounded louder than a falling feather. She was even spaced properly. Five steps from the door. Ten steps from the queen.