Chapter 29 Apertio

The only aspect of comfort that remained in the city of London was their little hideaway abode. With the townhouse's stocked pantry and life-giving hearth, the inhabitants needn't worry about an empty belly or freezing toes. This was again the only aspect of comfort within the city. Sasha sat by the fire, huddling in a large fur-matted blanket. It smelled of coals and loom wood. A scent Sasha couldn't place but that didn't matter it was warm and her father often loved to wrap her in blankets.

"It seems like waiting is all we can do," Sasha murmured. "Waiting and waiting, even flowers grew faster. Some would bud and their bushes would branch. It was pleasant to watch every stage, especially with my mother."

"Then why don't we plant winter flowers as we wait?" Sakura asked. They had enjoyed each other's company for hours. That time was spent playing games Sasha had just taught Sakura. When Sasha was soundly beaten in the last card game she started to sulk. Chess pieces were strewn across the floor and cards were spread so thin across the boards that one could surmise they were part of a floor. A peculiar floor design but not too peculiar, some nobles had quite insufferable tastes.

"I'd rather play another round of Conquest," Sasha grumbled. "Father always let me win. Even though it was his favorite game."

Sakura took this as a sign, she got up and quickly collected all the cards and set all the pieces. Truth to be told she rather liked the interesting games of the West. The various cards and boards would've entertained her little sister who could only play Shogi, an eastern equivalent to chess.

"Would you like to play Conquest?" Sakura asked while splitting the deck of cards into twos. She handed one side over to Sasha who accepted it reluctantly. The diamond red backs of the cards were all the players saw until the start.

It was a simple game. Players would pile cards from the top of their faced-down decks into one pool. The aim was to acquire all the cards. Royals and the ace would demand tribute whenever active. A jack would require one card from the opponent. A queen would require two cards. The tax was incremental so it was easy to remember. They were the most valuable cards as if no royal opposed the tribute the player would be able to take the pile. There were a few other simple rules. If two cards of the same number were stacked on top of each other the players could slap the pile and take all the cards. If a card was sandwiched in between two homogenous numbers it could also be slapped.

"Begin!" Sasha commanded. She raised her senses to their peak.

A card sat between them, a jack. Sakura needed to pay one card of tribute and Sasha would take the meager pile. It was a situation where Sasha could relax but she didn't. With finesse, Sakura tributed her own card and when flipped it became a jack. Eleven-eleven.

Time stilled. Sasha's eyes zoomed in and out on the two princes. The fire stopped cracking, it couldn't keep up with the intensity of her gaze. Her heart raced and her breathing shallowed. If she had a cat's tail it would shoot to the ceiling. All her hair stood on its end. Precipitation immediately condensed specks of sweat to the palms of her hands. Her fingers twitched and then the cards disappeared.

"Mine." Sakura smiled. It was a pure smile. A childish one. There was no mischief in her mind just pure bliss and fun. "Let's start again."

Time returned to normal and Sasha started to pout but she wouldn't dare give up. Her arrow-head-shaped stigma on the back of her hand glowed as she prepared to fight for supreme reign.

"One last round. I won't lose." Sasha squeaked after some time had passed. The poor floor had been slapped until a slight indent was visible. The two stigma users couldn't feel the effect they had on the cards but the normal person could feel that they were worn thinner than paper.