Chapter 55 Generations

Chapter 55

<Bustling Cafe>

The news was often delivered by word of mouth. Whispers, murmurs, rumors, and more were frequently found licking the ears of routine shoppers and capricious cafe enthusiasts. Of the two, the more credible option was those professors who lounged in the cafes. Educated and most important of all, literate, the academia clique was said to spread knowledge through their ramblings. As the saying goes, they provided a Livre college education. A mere pence for the international currency and a small cup of fresh tea for all cafe connoisseurs. That being said, the rising rate of literacy bolstered by the invention of the printing press decades ago, proved to a few that news was best proliferated through ink.

"It's profound! Genius! The laws are sound! The cathode ray proves the existence of electrons! These little elements, we can discover more of them!"

The quaint corner of the cafe, lit up by the outburst of a craggily old man, came alive. It creaked and whimpered as the frenzy of the conversation took hold. Ears wiggled towards the commotion. It was their regular spot, a small round table with a scar running across its wooden core, surrounded by five wobbly chairs that would've been scrapped had it not been for the overbearing insistence of the cafe's regulars.

"Ah, you crazy old coot! It's impossible! We've yet to harness the power of lightning!"

"Oh, but I have! I've spent 100 deniers to buy magnetic stones! I ordered glass-made contraptions and ellipsed the magnets around the coil until finally the ray was produced! I replicated the experiment!"

"You're harking! You're harking! That's not replication! You adapted!"

"But it's true! Electrons exist! The Aldrich Academy books do not lie! We can classify the elements of the world! This is the future! This is the future!"

"You're spewing! Hey, why so silent? You're normally the loudest of us all!"

"Pardon me but you know my background. I was once a noble and I've learned that old text, once deciphered, may hold some of the same information. It seems that the nobility in Koleston has become more lax in withholding information. You know of the Scharaic's revolvers yes? Weapons powerful enough to decimate the strongest of beasts. Knowledge is withheld for a reason and yet I've heard whispers of a much weaker replica. Where does information come from? Which genius can decipher the ancient languages and understand their advanced sciences? I have many concerns."

"Regulations and restrictions! What do we have to fear? If the nobles deem it safe then we should proceed. If not for the expense of travel and the dangers of the road I'd have headed to Koleston!"

"I as well!"

"Even if you two old dogs can still learn the sciences of the world, you've yet to learn the dangers of humanity. Look at the executions. The explosion! I for one wouldn't mind knowing less for peace. There may come a time when we must forsake our knowledge."

"You... we're not senseless."

"Then I pray such wisdom becomes common."

Wisps of inkling steam faded from the air, their coffee had become cold. Their conversation also died, as the old bones fell into the vices of politics. As they fell silent so did the cafe. The only sounds present were the creaking of the cafe placard in the wind and the soft grinding of coffee beans. Soon a new sound came and papers flooded in pushed by the wind. The symbol of masks, the winged troupe had struck once more. All compatriots were soon glued to the words.

"It seems even amongst the nobles they're senseless beings, of the Lance's family no less." The cautious professor growled. In an instant, a few of the customer's eyes turned feral.