Chapter 31 Castrum

<Koleston, City Archives>

To say Frederick was a mere reading enthusiast would insult anyone who had ever touched a book. If he had it his way he'd lock himself in a library for all eternity reading whatever had words inscribed into its pages. It didn't matter if the topic piqued his interest, he would consume all words he could. No matter how pressed he'd be to deny such a gluttonous interest, he'd reluctantly admit he liked reading reports and making decisions even if those reports contained the most mundane discoveries. The most tedious report he read involved an explorer's discovery of a new species of root vegetable. After a brief abstract and experimentation with skewed parameters, the explorer proved that the vegetable was a new species. It was a mindless parrot of the fact that the vegetable had never been seen before. Sixteen pages to prove that it looked and tasted different.

Nonetheless, the reason Frederick was in the Archive of Koleston, a building owned by the Historic Association of Truth, was to run upon a lead. After reaching out to his uncle for a bit of assistance, a journal log with familiar handwriting had made its way to his desk. The specifics were intriguing and Cain told Frederick to bring them to justice. It was a tall order coming from his uncle. Why did he entrust Frederick with such a task?

"It's empty here too." Frederick sighed. The Historic Association of Truth had been established before the reclamation of Vienna. It was a strange association that was respected by the church but held little power. Their numbers were always limited as their members needed to know how to read and write. Throughout history, complete literacy always boggled between twenty to thirty percent. Of course, the average person could read most of the newspaper but they certainly did not waste time learning more. It was more important to know a craft and make a living. Now that was changing, children were in schools and the literacy rate was decimating the roofs of Europe. Back to the association, they were essentially purest for the truth, almost heretical and cult-like. They operated with their authority and would rise in power with the coming age.

"I assume I'd need to visit the London branch." Frederick sighed. "If I'm to find anything by myself and I can't have Sasha investigate the Queen."

Frederick arched his back to stretch. His palms holstered against his lower back so he could puff up his chest a bit. A yawn escaped from his mouth, how long had been reading? He scanned over the desk he occupied. It was a neat sight to behold, the only issue was the books stacked atop it. They almost reached his height, seven individual towers of knowledge.

"My lord, unfortunately, we don't have a branch in London." A small voice squeaked from behind him.

Inwardly startled, Frederick turned slowly to face the woman. She was small but mature and a few wrinkles had just started making folds on her cheek. One would expect her to need glasses but her clear eyes reeled at the sight of Frederick's meal of words.

"Why is that?" Frederick questioned. "I thought you lot settled in every major city."

"We're not rats making nests my Lord." The woman puffed. "Even if we were don't the owners have a say in what we do? Koleston is a special city."

"Then you're sure to know the secrets of the Troupe. Who's the masked clown?"

"You only uncovered his accomplices. Well, you've only identified the playwright and her assistants. We don't know much else."

"Some seekers of truth you are."

"Must you hold such prejudice?"

"I got curious and skimmed a few records regarding myself. I must say there are quite a few things I'd like to be corrected."