Chapter 2 Sweets

"Cohline I've heard that Stephen is still single since we've left. Don't waste any time you have to ask him out today!"

"Stop just let me get my macaroons Cathy."

"No Cohline you have to step up. He's such a gentleman, a lot of girls are eying him. If you don't act now he's sure going to be taken by the next month!"

"Not you too Alice! I'm not ready. Ellie! What say you? Back me up."

Eleanor sipped Earl Gray tea absentmindedly. It was a few hours and the day had been rather quiet. Ciel Haut, the bakery that doubled as a cafe was relatively empty. Only one or two tables were occupied. They were old folks that liked to eat lunch in the absence of people.

"Ellie!"

Eleanor set down her China cup, blue posh designs and porcelain of the finest grade. A reserved cup for a set she had donated to Ciel Haut, hoping for a change in the distant past. It was all a dream in her eyes, and though she recovered somewhat thanks to her friends, there was a permanent hole in her heart.

"Cohline you best think fast. Our lunch break is almost over."

"You're bullying me too?"

"Shh. You don't want him to overhear now, do you? Look at him, diligently killing the fire, beads of light sweat rolling down his soft face-"

"Enough is enough. You guys are awful."

"It's honest advice," Eleanor replied, smiling innocently.

The little bell by the door rang and a couple walked in. Eleanor's smile quickly vanished, the others needn't turn around to see who was there. Snow white hair, one boasting to hail from one of the most prestigious bloodlines in Europe, happily waltzed into the cafe and up to the counter.

"Breaks over. Let's go."

Eleanor and her friends quickly got up. Their movement caught Kallen's eye and soured her mood as well. A greeting wasn't shared, Eleanor didn't even look at Kallen. Her friends shot skewed glances. Unfavorable impressions deepened by Kallen's actions. The power she was granted seemingly out of nowhere and life that was lost. She was a terrible captain but an even worse person. A white lotus as the eastern saying goes. All pretty on the outside but disgusting on the inside.

"Of course, she gets a week off. More work for us I guess."

"It might be a good thing. Her commands are to only charge."

"Remember the time when we were all gassed to even support her? We couldn't lift a finger as she made trouble left and right. Not relying on us. Hah. I wish she was more like her past self. At least then we didn't have to listen to confusing commands. At least then we didn't have to get injured weekly."

Eleanor didn't whisper a word to them. They were well aware that Kallen could hear them from a mile away and Eleanor was well aware that her companions' words would hurt more than her own.

"Is that how the chain works?" Sakura asked, balling her fist. Her fox ears weren't just for show.

"I hear it all the time. It's just gotten more dangerous and I've neglected my command for far too long. That's why you shouldn't join them. It's too dangerous."

"Do they all whisper behind your back?"

"Sakura..."

"You want to face them alone? Or even not at all? Since when did you shy from confronting the wrong?"

"Sakura it's not like that. I can stand up for myself, it's just that..."

"What?! Do you think they're right?"