Chapter 59 Impact

<Cain's Office>

Kallen couldn't be bothered, no how could she be bothered with the proceedings of a false trial? Cain shifted through evidence, sparing her not even a glance. He didn't even have it in him to get angry with her. His niece was never averse to political affairs. The tutoring she received from Miss Scharaic was only enough for her to carry out her duties as the symbol of a new era. She would never be able to deliver true justice.

'What can I do?' Kallen fumed. 'The people must know and the perpetrators must be punished but Uncle has ruled against me. They're the crimes of the royals and the crimes of the church! Sins can only be cleansed once exposed, once confessed. The truth is above all and only by speaking the truth can we adhere to the Holy Book. A world of truths brings justice.'

It had been an hour since her uncle last spoke. A measly hour before the sun was begging to set. Tomorrow the Fienre family would be tried, for the sins of their forefathers. Cain's verdict, to put it lightly, didn't sit well with Kallen. She waited holding her patience so that her uncle would stop ignoring her. He didn't bother with her insistence and casually lit a candle at his desk. He'd be working late into the night. His wrist ached as did his mind but he pushed on.

"Uncle." Kallen finally broke the silence. She hoped he wouldn't ignore her this time.

"Kallen. Fran was always worried for you."

A great sigh escaped his lips but he did lift his eyes from flickering ink. He continued to study, he continued to write, and he continued his pursuit of a better world.

"It's only natural."

"Of course, of course. I worried the same. You still lack the ability of foresight. You've never understood the weight of your actions. Despite this, despite Fran's nagging insistence I trained you. I took time out of my day to instill within you the skills of the Kaslana gun Kata, the movement of our Quickrunners, and the spatial awareness of your listening. I refined your skills to the point where you are the strongest Kaslana in recent history. Stronger than your grandfather and stronger than your great-grandmother. Yet still, despite your talents, I worry for you."

"Misplaced."

"No well founded. You have no wit."

"Uncle, you want me to get angry?! I'm already plenty mad, why don't we spar?"

"Here you lost."

Cain shook his head and flipped through another stack of documents. It wasn't as if he didn't try to teach Kallen insight, wit, and etiquette. He expended the most effort in those categories since Kallen's physical talent was unmatched. No matter what he did nothing stuck. It was torturous to teach her. If he had to describe it, the experience was akin to a year of administration paperwork. Everything he inscribed into her mind would become blank parchment at the end of every session. Of course, that was only his judgment, he could've been a terrible teacher. Look at the progress Kallen made under Eleanor's tutelage.

"You've only insulted me. How could you call this a discussion? I'll start shouting if you want. YOU OLD DINGY MUP-"

"That's enough! I already explained why we can't expose the site of erasure. If you've captured the heretical head we can proceed with exposing the corrupt nobles in this country."

"It's not just the nobles but the church!"

"Erasure as a practice will be gone in my rein! It is an old mistake that can be swept up with the Sins of the Devil! Think Kallen! Think! The troupe and the church are seen as allies! We spread the same truth, Otto Apocalypse is the Devil, his birth has caused the moral corruption of the church. Schicksal has been cleansed due to your bravery!"